Is anyone familiar with the GSG 5 or SW M&P 15-22LR rifle?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 1990Bulldog, Nov 16, 2009.

1. 1990Bulldog

1990Bulldog New Member

I plan to buy a 22LR rifle and was looking at the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22LR and the Sig Sauer 522LR. When I was at the local gun store, the salesman showed me the GSG 5. I always liked the MP 5 and thought this was an affordable way for me to have a replica.

Has anyone heard of GSG and how reliable they are?

I’ve been out of the country for the past 10 years and being able to shoot has been really tough (my handguns were in storage the whole time). Anyway, I’ve never heard of GSG and did some searching on the internet. Come to find out, GSG and ATI (the distributor) were in a lawsuit and will stop selling the GSG guns by Jan 2010.

If they stop selling them, how hard it would be to get it repaired? I mean it’s not like a .45 or M4 where there are parts galore.

I’m kind of leaning towards the M&P and enjoyed reading the post by 6x6pins and his M&P.

A buddy recommended that I get a real M4 with the .22LR kit because I could upgrade it to a .223. My thing is, I really don’t want to spend over $500 and I don’t need a larger caliber because I just want something I can plink with that isn’t going to cost me $0.20 every time I pull the trigger. I don’t hunt and I have three handguns for home protection.

Thank you and I look forward to your comments.

Jason
  2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

The GSG 5 is bad ass. For a 22lr it is a fun gun to shoot. My buddy has one and has had zero problems with it. Only thing was when he first got it, He had to tighten down several screws. Other than that a real nice gun.
  3. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

The M&P15 has quickly become my favorite 22 rifle. I was at the gunshop the other day and they tell me they expect the Sig 522 any day ( I am number 6 on the list and they have 20 coming).
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The gun made by the German company that kind of clones the H&K gun may be hard to find (is it the GSG 5 ??). The German company lost a patent infringement law case with H&K and at some point suspended manufacture and sale of these guns. I don't know the current status but if interested I think a bit of research as to availability is necessary.

I have a Feather RAV22-HB with all the accessories. It clones nothing but looks spacey and really modern. It shoots relatively well but likes CCI Mini-Mags much better than bulk cheapy ammo. Take a look:

http://www.guns-rifles-firearms.com/index_files/Page1591.htm

LDBennett
  5. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

They all look like good options. I've also recently heard that no more GSG firearms will be able to be imported, so they may not be available for long.
  6. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Well, I don't own an M&P but I do have the GSG-5 and a Colt M4 .22. Both guns are very reliable and accurate (one hole at 50 yds). I bought both guns because they are virtually indistinguishable from their center fire counterparts. Keep in mind that these "black" rifle .22 clones are meant to be "fun" guns and should not be compared to their centerfire parent. I am currently awaiting the coming of the SG522 to California. I did not really consider the M&P because of its all plastic construction and the fact that the Colt looks more like what I was looking for.
  7. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I have thought about a GSG, but the fact that there will be no more, bugs me a bit. To me, that means down the road, parts will probably be pretty scarce (if at all) and no service in case anything goes wrong.

Like LDBennett, I have the Feather RAV-22, have not had ANY problems with it. Eats anything I feed it....so far. Accurate enough for some FUN plinking.
  8. Jonah

Jonah New Member

I have the S&W M&P 15-22. It's a great .22lr. I have 4 Ruger 10/22's, two of them I built te receiver, and as much as I like the 10/22, the S&W is fast becoming my favorite.
  9. 1990Bulldog

1990Bulldog New Member

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna get the M&P but it's just a matter of when. I live in northern VA and the local gun store has it for $475. They guys said they have been selling pretty good with no complaints.
  10. pea shooter

pea shooter New Member

Excellent pick.I love mine and have just finished accessorising it.It has a harris 9-13 bipod,a simmons 22mag scope,promag scope riser&swivel mount,magpul rail covers and a winchester sling.The gun looks so good its fun just to hold and even more fun to shoot.I bought most everything from midway USA.I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do. Good shooting&God bless.
  11. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

Well I picked up my Sig 522 the other day and had a chance to take it to the range. The Sig while a nice rifle and some what heavier than the S&W MP15 22 did not shoot as well. The mags also don't have the assist button for ease of loading like the S&W and Colt ar's.
    I would rate the new "black rifles" in this order
    #1 S&W MP 15-22
    #2 Sig 522
    #3 Colts AR15 22 in either M4 or Ops version
    #4 GSG5
  12. fbauer1937

fbauer1937 New Member

How about the PUMA Wildcat PPS-22?

Fred
  13. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

The Puma line of rifles is the old Squires Bingham rifle. The SB rifles never proved to be too terribly reliable. I wonder if the Puma's have had any changes to them to make them different. It should be noted, I know several people who have some of the old SB rifles that won't sell them though. They have the 50 round drums and the rifle will go FA at any given time, just need to be ready when it does.
  14. SneekySquirrel

SneekySquirrel New Member

I have both the m&p and the gsg. Granted, the gsg does have a more realistic feel and it shoots very well. The one complaints I have with it is that it likes to malfunction quite a bit, mostly cases getting stuck in the chamber and not extracting and the fact that takedown for cleaning is kind of a pain in the a**. No the malfunctins are not caused by being dirty because I'm a stickler for keeping my weapons well maintained. I feel that the m&p is the better choice between the two, haven't had any mafunctions with the m&p besides ftf which was probably because of the ammo I was shooting. The m&p is also easier to maintain being that the takedown is exactly the same as a standard AR. As for sale of the gsg being stopped because of a lawsuit and becoming hard to find, I definitely would not purchase a weapon based on that. But honestly, both are good weapons and are a blast to shoot and it comes down to what a persons personal preference is.
  15. CORVETTE BRETT

CORVETTE BRETT New Member

I HAVE THEM BOTH ALSO AND TO BE HONEST SNEAKYSQUIRL IS RIGHT THE GSG-5SD FEELS JUST LIKE A MP5SD... BUT THE M&P IS WAY EASIER TO MAINTAIN... BOTH ARE ALOT OF FUN...