The Firearms Forum banner

is del-ton good?

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Bobitis 
#1 ·
Is del-ton a good company for ar uppers? I a first time ar shooter and building my own at the moment. I just go target shooting ounce a month. Any suggestions?

#4 · (Edited)
I don't own one, but those who do say they are one of the best kept secrets in the AR industry.

There are several Del-Ton threads going some of the AR sites where the opinion is that they are accurate, reliable and have good fit & finish. It's hard to beat their prices for what you get too. I especially like the way you can customize the product they put together for you at the Del-Ton Website. That way you get the AR that fits your needs best. I hear customer service is good too if you need any help.

There are a bunch of Tier 1 combat ready operators at those sites that are always ready to say that you MUST pay at least $2,500 for any decent AR and another $1,500 for optics, but the truth is for plinking and the average shooter the Del-ton will be perfect. :cool:

#6 ·
Both my uppers have been Del-tons. They are great products. My first AR was a kit from Del-ton, a friend put it together for me while I tiled his shower...nice trade. My second AR was built from parts, but most are from Del-ton.

#9 ·
I bought my first upper from them. I had to work on the trigger a little, but other than that it has been perfect and their customer service is the best I have seen.

#10 ·
As I said, I don't own one, but the many who do seem to really like them. There are bashers who will say they aren't built right and aren't up to Spec., but here's a few facts provided from the manufacturer that will help to dispell some of the myths about the inadequacy of Del-Ton AR's:

- Using steel cased ammo DOES NOT void the rifle's lifetime warranty.
- All flat tops have the extended M4 feed ramps
- All bolts are MP/HP tested
- If you order an upper or rifle with a flat top, it will have an F Marked front sight base
- Bolt carriers are properly staked, and sealed
- All barrels are parkarized under the gas block
- Delton only uses taper pins on our barrels
- All barrels are made of Chrome Moly Vanadium. CMV is an upgrade from the standard chrome moly. They also have the option to chrome line the barrels, or not, and you can also choose a 1x7 twist or a 1x9 twist on most profiles.
- Each and every upper or rifle that leaves until it has been test fired, not a single one leaves the factory without having that done

Considering the decent Specs., good user reviews including good customer service, the reasonable price and fairly quick availability of the Del-Tons from the factory, I'd think it would be hard to go wrong.

G
#11 ·
I've put two lowers together, and got the pre-built uppers (no tools for that in a condo). Jlloyd is correct about the triggers. The 1st one I got was harsh to say the least. There's a quick fix for that, and I can send you a link if ya'd like. All that needs to be done is modify two springs. If ya screw it up, yer out a buck plus postage.:rolleyes: The difference is night and day.

For the 2nd, I opted for the RRA Match trigger. All I can say is WoW!:eek:

If yer gonna scope it, settle for nothing less than the Burris P.E.P.R mount. PM JLA for a 2nd opinion.

No offense snakedriver, but I have a letter from Del-Ton that states in no uncertain terms the the use of steel cased ammo WILL void the warranty. Unless that has changed in the last three years.:confused:

Good company, good product, outstanding value.:D

#12 · (Edited)
I've put two lowers together, and got the pre-built uppers (no tools for that in a condo). Jlloyd is correct about the triggers. The 1st one I got was harsh to say the least. There's a quick fix for that, and I can send you a link if ya'd like. All that needs to be done is modify two springs. If ya screw it up, yer out a buck plus postage.:rolleyes: The difference is night and day.

For the 2nd, I opted for the RRA Match trigger. All I can say is WoW!:eek:

If yer gonna scope it, settle for nothing less than the Burris P.E.P.R mount. PM JLA for a 2nd opinion.

No offense snakedriver, but I have a letter from Del-Ton that states in no uncertain terms the the use of steel cased ammo WILL void the warranty. Unless that has changed in the last three years.:confused:

Good company, good product, outstanding value.:D
Yep no offense taken Bob, while it DID used to be true, they've since retracted that now. Here's a link to a thread at another location where the Del-Ton Rep. states just that very fact. It's the 8th post down on Page 1.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/549090_Del_Ton_AR_15.html

I ended up being a Rock River AR man and they DO have the best triggers around. Very crisp and clean. Triggers, springs and such in the lower are a piece of cake to change out. No special tools required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.