Is it a S&W 22/32?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by duck32man, Dec 22, 2011.

1. duck32man

duck32man Member

I got this the today and I am wondering if it really is a 22/32? dealer had it tagged as S&W 22 ?.

Left barrel - Smith and Wesson
    Right barrel - 22 Long Rifle Ctg
    top of barrel - Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass Usa Mar 27 94
    Aug 4 96 Dec 22 96 Oct 8 01 Dec 17 01 Feb 6 06 Sept 14 09
    S# 2400xx

Wondering what dom is? and approxiamate value? I haven't fired it (don't know if I will) but seems to funtion and lock up correctly.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Yes, I would call it a 22/32, duckman - it is an S&W 22 target pistol built on their I-frame, which was designed for 32 S&W Long. At that time, lots of 22 pistols were built on really puny frames designed for 32 Short, or even smaller, like the S&W Ladysmith. Calling it a 22/32 implied it had a heavy frame for a 22 pistol of the period.

Whether that also makes it a "Beakart" (sp?) model, I could not tell you. I have never quite understood what that term covers - all the 22/32s like yours, just the earliest ones, or just the ones sold through Beakart.

Has the front sight on yours been modified, or is it just out of the picture?
  3. duck32man

duck32man Member

Not sure on the sight. Its low profile and brass. Thanks for the info.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is a .22/32 Heavy Frame Target Revolver. (The term "Heavy Frame" for the "I" frame is relative; it was heavy only in comparison to S&W's other .22 revolver of the time, the tiny Ladysmith.)

The gun was introduced in 1911 at the request of Philip Bekeart, a San Francisco dealer, and was serial numbered in the .32 HE series. Some 1000 guns were made on his order; those, sometimes called the "true" Bekeart model, were in the range serial range 138220-139275. The gun was put into the regular S&W line c. 1915 at about number 160,000. The .22/32 underwent the same changes as the .32 HE and, for that matter, other S&W's in the areas of internal design. In 1935, a 4" barrel version was introduced as the .22/32 KIt gun, kit in this case meaning an outdoorsman's pack, not that the gun was sold in unassembled (kit) form. All .22/32 models up to 1953 had round butts; the square butt type was an extension grip. In 1953, the frame was changed to the J frame and a true square butt became available. The Kit Gun later became the Model 34, the target the Model 35.

The front sight is not original; it was probably changed for sighting in with high speed ammunition.

The number of .22/32's actually made seems to be unavailable; serial numbers are no help since they were in the same series as the more numerous .32 HE.

That gun has been "hard used" and the grips are worn and chipped. Whoever owned it shot it a lot and probably was darned good. I would value the gun at only $400 or so due to the condition. One in top condition could go for four times that.

Check the firing pin protrusion to make sure it does not impact on the cylinder, or be sure to always use snap caps when dry firing.

Jim
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  5. duck32man

duck32man Member

Jim, I really appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share it. I picked it up for $125. The cylinder is not marred by the firing pin like I have seen on other old rimfires. Is modern low velocity ammo ok?
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sure. I suspect it was shot with a lot of HV, but with older guns it is probably better to stick with the lower pressure ammo. As long as the previous owner(s) cleaned it (it dates to the corrosive primer days), and the barrel is in good shape, it should be very accurate.

Jim
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

JimK has it right on the money. Good guess on the DOM is going to be the late teens. You did well at $125, the gun is worth $200-$225 in that condition.