Is it legal .

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Hotrodf100, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Hotrodf100

Hotrodf100 New Member

I was at a family reunion over the weekend in southern southern adirondack park upstate ny. I brought my egyptian hakim semi auto 8 mm rifle to shoot at my uncles range. Now to my concern ,one of my cousins who lives in tnn called up the NYS police to see if his ar 15 was legal to bring to ny but it wasn't due To his mods. He said one thing on the list is flash suppresors wich my egyptian has but it was origanal to the gun no mod. I live in Catskill mounts in ny and now wounder if it's legal ? Any ideas. I Dident buy it as it was given to me. So I never went through a ny dealer.any help would be awesome I just hope I don't have to surrender my rifle .
  2. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

New York maintains a state level prohibition against the features listed in the now defunct Federal Assault Weapons Ban.[2][3][4] Magazines made after 1994 with a capacity in excess of 10 rounds are banned, as are rifles with two or more of the restricted features (pistol grip, bayonet lug, collapsible or folding stock, flash suppressor, and threaded barrel)

NYS grandfathered firearms produced before the 1994 ban:

"So, the only remaining question is, was the rifle you're interested in made on or before 9/13/94. This is the "pre-ban" or "post-ban" question for NYS. If the seller is marketing the rifle as "pre-ban", then he or she should be able to produce either (i) a letter from Colt stating the pre-9/14/94 date of manufacture, or (ii) a serial number that you can verify places the rifle in the pre-ban manufacture period."

If you have any documentation proving that the rifle was manufactured before that date, you should be OK.

You don't live in NYC so the rifle doesn't have to be registered.
  3. Hotrodf100

Hotrodf100 New Member

Im not sure the true date but its deffenitly pre 94 . It was made between the 50s and 60s. If so that means its legal right ?
  4. WHSmithIV

According to the way the law reads in NYS it is legal then - In NYC it would have to be registered is all. To keep yourself on the safe side, see if you can find serial number date information for the serial number. If you have a printed paper specifying it's manufacture date then you have it covered for proving that the 1994 state law does not apply to your rifle.

For reference - the 8mm Hakim serial no. 30052 was made in 1961
  5. WHSmithIV

Just a note - the Hakim rifle was only made in the 1950's and 1960's in Egypt. In the 1960's the Egyptians went to the AK-47. Under the NY State laws the rifle is grandfathered and the 1994 ban does not apply to it. The rifle is a pre-ban rifle.
  6. Hotrodf100

Hotrodf100 New Member

Thanks for the help . I just Wanted to make sure I'm legal .
  7. WHSmithIV

8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If it is original, the "thing" on the front of the Hakim is not a flash suppressor, it is a muzzle brake, intended to reduce recoil, not reduce muzzle flash.

Jim