Is it OK to ask value of a gun here??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Dave_N, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Dave_N

Dave_N New Member

Been looking for a place to help me put a price on an old Mossberg shotgun. Is this the place to ask? Thought I should ask since I've never been here before. :eek:

Dave
  2. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

You're in the right place. Post some details and someone will help you out. All I have right now is the 2009 edition of Guns and Prices, so it may give you an idea, but others have much better pricing guides.
  3. Dave_N

Dave_N New Member

OK Thanks. It is a Bolt Action 410 Mossberg shotgun my uncle gave me when I was a kid(40ish years ago). Probably has more sentimental value than it's worth but I will not ever use it and just don't want to get ripped off. Will post some pictures in a few minutes.

Dave
  4. 22shot

22shot New Member

Dave N

Yep; this is the place; but you have to describe your old shotgun and post some pics.

As far as I know there are no mystics in here.

Welcome to TFF !
  5. Dave_N

Dave_N New Member

OK here we go... Start with some pics I just took....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. 22shot

22shot New Member

Dave N

Your post got in in front of mine...

Anyway; ther should be a Model # stamped on th barrel by O.F. Mossberg and Sons.
    It either has interchangeble choke tubes; or the ajustable "C-Lect-Choke".
  7. Dave_N

Dave_N New Member

Think I beat you again. Model is in first pic. 183D B ...Pretty sure it's just interchangeable choke tubes. There is a small hole in the tube you can see threads through.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  8. 22shot

22shot New Member

Nice pics..

It is the earlier model; it came with 2 interchangeble choke tubes. Do you still have them?
  9. Dave_N

Dave_N New Member

Only have the one that's on the gun. Never had the other one.

[​IMG]
  10. 22shot

22shot New Member

It looks to be in really nice shape. That model was made from 1940 - 1971, The B may indicate a later change in barrel length (24") earlier had a 23" barrel.

I think a price of $120-$150 is not out of line; given the condition.
  11. 22shot

22shot New Member

They had a little spanner wrench that fit in that hole. Maybe you could find it; and the "full" choke tube.(I assume the "modified" is on the gun..)

Nice original .410 !
  12. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

My guide is showing Excellent: $90 and Very Good: $65, but it is over a year old and tends to price on the low side. I think 22shot is more on the money than my book is.
  13. Dave_N

Dave_N New Member

Thanks a lot for the info ya'll, I really appreciate it.
  14. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

15. Dave_N

Dave_N New Member

From the lip on the barrel in front of the bolt, to the very end of the choke tube is about 23 3/16".
  16. Dave_N

Dave_N New Member

It is a 3". That date sounds about right. I'd guess it was given to me some time around 1970. Choke has an "M" on it so I assume that is modified.
  17. 22shot

22shot New Member

Got booted off...must be a lot of traffic..

You have the later model...Stick around..other members will chime in.
  18. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Looks like this shotgun was extremely popular - there were a lot of variations. Here's what the most recent 31st Ed. of the "BLUE BOOK..." by Fjestad has listed: 183, 183D, 283D(a), 183D-B, 183D-C, 183D-D, 183D-E, 183D-F, 183K, etc., etc. mfg. 1948-1985; 2 or 3 shot tubular magazine. Screw-ON chokes or C-LECT chokes on some models.
    100% $175 95% $135 90% $110. Excellent pictures - show it to be at least 90%, probably closer to 95%. The "Blue Book..." values are based on national averages. I'd be inclined to believe that the OP shotgun would sell above those averages by at least 15 to 20%. Bolt action shotguns are just plain "cool" to shoot - they garner quite a bit of attention at the range. There is an entire generation of younger shooters who've never seen, and in some cases - never heard of, this class of shotguns, which seems to have been fairly popular from the late 1940's into the late 1980's.

p.s. From my personal experience with "THE BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES" by Steve Fjestad, in my OPINION, of all the pricing and info guides that I own or have consulted, the "BLUE BOOK..." is the most comprehensive when it comes to information and the most accurate when it comes to pricing guide lines. For confirmation, just look at the long list of distinguished and expert Contributing Editors who monitor the various sections on an annual basis.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  19. Dave_N

Dave_N New Member

Thanks Jim. So sounds like maybe I should try to get $120-140 out of it.
  20. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I'd ask for $175 to $200 - can always go lower - very rarely/never can go higher (LOL). From my experience working with FFL dealers - the most common single shot guns in v.good to excellent condition often sell in the $100 to $125 range - your piece is beyond that with regard to condition and "unusualness." Go for it!