1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Is it Okay to keep AK mags loaded?

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Cheimison, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Cheimison

Cheimison Former Guest

Are there any known problems with keeping an AK magazine loaded indefinitly? Altough I intend to use this as a fun gun, there might (hopefully not) be a time when I have to use it to defend my home/self until I get a shotgun. Because of that I'd like to have a loaded magazine around, just in case.

And yes, I'm fully aware that an AK is a terrible choice for home defense, but that's exactly why I'm getting a shotgun later on.
  2. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

A quality mag should be able to withstand fairly long periods of being loaded to
    capacity.
  3. cd45

cd45 New Member

I keep the my AK and AR 30 round mags loaded with 25 rounds. They should last forever. I still have plenty of ammo on tap for anything bad that happens.
  4. Kasatka

Kasatka New Member

I kepy an AK-74 mag loaded for about 6 months for defense purposes until I sold the gun recently. Never any issues with it.
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Every mag I own is loaded to the max. They shoot just fine for me.
  6. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Whats the point of having a gun if it's not loaded or ammo isnt ner by. We leave cheap sks mags loaded for long periods of time works fine.
  7. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

Cheimison,You can bye springs for your magazines that will not set when kept topped off,if your springs in your magazines do get week and set.
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Cheimison

Your mags will never get weak from being loaded, the act of loading and unloading them would actually do more harm.

Load 'em up and stack 'em high.

Crpdeth
  9. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

5. Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds? How often should I change magazine springs?

Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as law enforcement applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs which are loaded up only when shooting. Magazine design and capacity also affect the longevity of the spring. Older designs where maximum capacity was not the goal such as the 7 round 1911 Colt magazines will last for years fully loaded. There was a lot of room for a lot of spring which reduced the overall stress on the spring. In recent hi-capacity magazines, the magazines were designed to hold more rounds with less spring material. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but is not always practical. In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life. Regular shooting will verify reliability and regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs.
  10. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

MAGAZINE SPRINGS for 30 round magazines. +5% Extra power magazine springs are available to restore feeding & reliabilty in magazines with weakened or worn springs.
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Bottom line is if you buy cheap mags then worry about the springs later going bad. If you buy the good magazines you don't have to worry. I have .308 and .45 ACP mags loaded for years with no problems. Same with some AR mags.
  12. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

inplanotx,You wont get an argument out of me with your post.Trouble is many firearm manufacturers aren't going to spend extra money on quality springs,unless it's Mil-Spec order.Everything on Earth has a working lifespan and springs are no exception,many shooters never think of them just give the piece a bad reputation.

http://www.gunsprings.com/
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I have to concede to you on this one Red Neck and take my own advice in my signature...

"Everything on Earth has a working lifespan"...I like the truth in that, I shouldn't have said "Never"...The other side of the coin is, like you and Rick have stated, you should avoid "Junk Mags"...Not only are the springs most likely inferrior, but they (The junk mags) cause feeding problems as well causing the uneducated to spew untruths about the particular piece.

I only use Labelle mags for the AR and Wilson for the 1911 and I load 'em up and stack 'em high. :D

Crpdeth
  14. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Everything has a working lifespan, including a banned member and thread over two years old. Guess some don`t have enough to do in their lives but talk to ghost, or rather argue with them............

LTS
  15. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hey LTS............................................

BITE ME :D :D :D