Is it possable to get paper work on a ithaca M6 not sure if it ever had it?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by spankie46, Dec 29, 2010.

1. spankie46

spankie46 New Member

When dad died i found a ithaca m6 servival rifle. Has the short barrels and the property of USAF stamp and all. i think my grandfather aquired it while in the USAF. is there a way to get all the leagel paper work needed in case i ever wanted to part with it i know that would be important it it great condition shoots awsome been hidding on a shelf in a closet for who knows how long
  2. medalguy

medalguy Member

Well now that it's been advertised on a public forum I'd have to say the answer is no. :rolleyes: It's considered contraband by BATF.
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Spankie dont worry you aint gonna get in trouble for haveing that, It was surplussed out a long time ago and yes you can legally own it. With that beeing said I dont know if the paperwork is available for it. I have seen these and I have seen the later models that were manufactured also both in Civi trim and as USAF too. Neat little firearms but paperwork, I have no clue. Might go to a Surplus store that has been around for a Coons Age and see what they have to say.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If it wasn't papered before 1968, I don't think it can be registered now. I don't think the ATFE boys are going to knocking down your door, but it is illegal and you should be careful of who knows about it.
  5. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I stand corrected, I have doin some calling around and some other resurch on these little jewells and guess what, thay are able to be registered but it takes a class III to doi it and then a little bit of paperwork fileing. The thing is every one that I have talked to and searches I have done of these, they are selling for 1500+ in some cases and that is not includeing the 200 in paperwork that goes along with getting it registered.
  6. spankie46

spankie46 New Member

Yeah for the most part im not worried about the papers if they wanna come all the way out here in the sticks and **** with me over a gun that been laying in a closet forgotten about for the last 30 years **** them lol. I was mainly asking about the paper work after i saw how much some of these early models are selling for. Cause i know if the day came that a new shinny toy caught my eye and i decided to sell this to buy something else Id be stuck dealing with people trying to offer me way less than its worth because of the lack of paper work. Me personaly I would reather not have my **** on the ATF list. Not like a 22/410 is a weapon of mass distruction. I live in the middle of no where not like im runnign around town with it in my truck or taking it to the range. But getting drunk shooting at cans in the back 40 maybe a squirrel of opertunity.
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

Spankie I understand where you are coming from. HOWEVER possession of that firearm is a violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968. It is a short barrel rifle/shotgun and it is a federal felony offense. If anyone believes these forums are mot regularly monitored by BATFE you are very mistaken. Yes it is unlikely you will have your door broken down in the middle of the night but it is possible. And sale of that weapon will bring another batch of violations too.

There are legal versions of this weapon available but they have a legal 18+ inch barrel. The M6 AF version is a short barrel version and therein lies the problem.

The prices you see are for legal, registered, transferable weapons. I believe if you take that one to a licensed manufacturer, he will very quickly ask you to please leave his premises. If BATFE drops in on him while he has that weapon in his possession or on his premises, he will lose his license and face the same criminal prosecution you face.

I'm not sure why anyone on this forum would suggest to you that it's OK to have this in your possession, and not to worry about criminal prosection is beyond me.
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It is not illegal, as long as you don't have, or have access to, the barrels.
    The receiver can be registered as an NFA weapon, barrels acquired and installed after the registration and tax stamp. The complete weapon is in violation of federal law, unless registration/tax stamp is present.
  9. medalguy

medalguy Member

But the OP said he had the complete gun. That's a problem.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Take the barrels off. Give them to a friend that does not live in the same house with you. Now you do not have an illegal short-barreled shotgun. Paper the receiver (if it is possible - I don't think it is but it might be) and once the receiver is papered, get the barrels back from the friend.
  11. spankie46

spankie46 New Member

See I thought that something like this could fall under the AOW catagory. And yes I know that was something that should have been done a long time ago but Remember I never knew anything about it it was never mine i mean if they want to go after my Dad they can try but they cant lock up a dead man. All i was doing was posting up on here to find out they right way to deal with the situation. The only reason its illegal is because of the lack of proper paper work to own it. Well not my fault that was not done you would think that as lont ast the ATF had there paper work so theyt could add anotrher name to there watch list it would be all good. I mean i not gonna jump though hoops and doo abouchg of **** like store a part her and there just so i dont get caught having it before id do that this thing would find its way to the bottom of a very deep very big body of water
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

For a smoothbore to be an AOW, it either has to have a pistol-grip instead of a buttstock (like that Serbu Shorty) or not look like a gun (like a cane gun). Yours, since it has a buttstock, and is obviously a gun, would be an SBS.

You don't want to jump through the hoops to be legal, that's your business.

Even though the software is catching it, how 'bout quit cussing on the board?