1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gunfreakboy, Mar 16, 2006.

1. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

I was at the local gunshop today and saw a High Standard Field King 22 for sale. They have a $279.00 price tag on it and I was wondering if its a fair price. It looked in pretty good shape. The bore looked good and the wood grips were nice. Is there anything else I should look for? They also had a Ruger Mark III for the same price (new) but I really like the feel of the Field King. I am still fairly new to purchasing and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. To each his own, Gun, but I would go with the Ruger in a New York minute, if for no other reason than reputation and service.
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The first thing you need to tell us is the barrel length. The second is if it is a first model or a second model or the third model. The third thing is it's amount of blueing left in percentage. The price is very inviting and as it is below this models worth at 80% condition. These HS pistols are getting into collectors hands and staying there.

It will outshoot any Ruger ever imagined and still be worth more than a Ruger when time takes its toll. I'd buy it in a hearbeat if the condition warrants it. I have several HS pistols and I would not trade one for ten Rugers and all will outshoot the Ruger any day of the week.

This gun was manufactured in the 1950's depending on the series of pre-100 (lever name series), 100, or 101.\

The serial number would help in identiying it.
  4. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

I was thinking of getting a .22 plinker and have been checking them out for awhile now. I noticed this one about 3 weeks ago when I was ordering a holster for my 1911. I assume it will be there for a bit and will try to get a better look next week. If I am not mistaken the blueing wasn't really all that good. I will try to get a peek at the serial number also. If it is a decent price, I don't want to give away my interest as I would still like to bargain the price. I was really looking at it as a plinker and also retaining a good value. I love the bull barrel. I am 99% sure it was a 6 inch barrel (6 1/4 or whatever) I was looking at them here and there on the web and I noticed all of them had plastic grips whereas these are smooth wood. I will post when I check it out.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

As Tex says, the Field King was made in the 1950's, which makes a Hamden, CT-made pistol. The Hamden-made Hi-Standards are the best made and most collectable of the HS guns.

If it's in 80% condition or better, snap that baby up! As a matter of fact, even if it's less than 80%, but is tight and has a good bore, I'd buy it.

Mind you, I have a Ruger Mk.I, and I like Rugers.....but the Mk.III isn't, and never will be, the same quality weapon as a Hi-Standard.

BTW, the barrel is 6 3/4".
  6. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

I am baised towards the High Standards and the Field King is a nice gun. It is probably a lever name series (the first version) or the FK-101 which was the third version. The FK-100 is quite rare since it was made for only about 3 months in early 1954.

Plastic grips were standard but the factory offered checkered walnut grips which were sold separately. It is unlikely that smooth woods grips are factory but I wiuld need to see photos to be sure.
  7. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

Well it was on my mind a night and day so I bought it. He took 20 bucks off and let me put it on layaway so I should have it next week. Serial number 378xxx. I will post pics when I get it. Thanks for all the input, it was extremely helpful.
  8. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Serial number 378xxx
    That will be a 1951
    I've got to Rugers MK's that stay in the safe since I got my model B
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

You got a very good gun at a steal price. You will enjoy it evry time you pull the trigger. You also have a great gun to pass down to your children. Enjoy and let us have some pics when you get it. ;)
  10. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

378,xxx is probably a late June or July of 1952 pistol not 1951.
  11. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

The pics are a bit fuzzy, I forgot to set camera to best pix setting. Hi standard .22 Field king. The bluing appears to be 90% or better. A few scratches but it looks real nice. It is pretty cruddy internally so I will have to clean it. I love the easy way it breaks down. The grips don't have any chips or scratches. The mag doesn't have any markings either. Wil try to pop off some rounds ASAP, but may be a week or two.

Attached Files:

• hi1.JPG
      hi1.JPG
      File size:
      88.4 KB
      Views:
    • hi2.JPG
      hi2.JPG
      File size:
      158.7 KB
      Views:
    • hi3.JPG
      hi3.JPG
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views:
    • hi4.JPG
      hi4.JPG
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Early HS, circa late 40's, early 50's, all mags will fit, but later, cheaper mags , will require a "fitting cut" of about .020-.040 instep, in the heel of the mag, with a file, to accomodate fitting. Your pistol is a model "G", or "GB", by their nomenclature, with a wedge type barrel retention, prone to loosening,with a lot of shooting. Don't worry about that, much, as it is repairable!
    The trick with non-standard mags is to file and try, until they will latch, then stop, right there. Any mag that will fit, will feed, until it falls away, so file, and fit, until it latches , securely, then stop. I usuallly filea .250" flat, at the rear/heel of the mag
  13. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

That is a good looking gun. The walnut grips are not factory. Original grips were plastic and factory checkered walnut grips wer available as ann accessory.

The magazine you have is the original finger style that is appropriate for a 1952 Field King. The later factory lip style magazines wil also work.

You can find scans of High Standard catalogs for 1952 on my website at: http://www.histandard.info/datapublic/memorabilia/catalogs/

John Stimson
    www.histandard.info
  14. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

BTW John.....I don't know if anybody officially welcomed you to TFF, so I'll do it now. :D

Hi John........welcome to TFF!. :)

You seem to have a store of knowledge on Hi-Standards, so we hope you'll stick around the "Ask The Pro's & What's It Worth?" Forum to help us out when we get questions on these fine pistols.
  15. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

A hearty welcome to you John. Glad to have you with us. I only have two HS pistols at the moment, a HD Military and a Model B and I love them both. Great site you have there. Thanks for all the great information.