Is it worthwhile to reload 9X19 ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Insulation Tim, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Presently, I only reload 45ACP for target shooting. I do it for a number of reasons besides enjoying it. It lowers the expense per round. Number two, I like the feel and lesser recoil of my loads. Lastly, it makes sure I'll always be in stock when the factory loads are scarce, like for the last year or more.

That being said, is there any reason to reload 9x19 rounds? I guess that there would be a savings, just not as dramatic as with .45's.

Also, what size primer is used. Large or small pistol?
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Small pistol primer.
  3. medalguy

medalguy Member

Sure it's worth reloading. If you have the brass, Berry's bullets .10, primer .03, powder .02 total reloaded .15. That's $7.50 per box of 50, and you get to pick the bullet and load.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You also don't have to worry about the store shelves being empty. Reason enough for me to reload even if the cost were the same.
  5. army mp

army mp Member

I reload every thing I shoot. Number one reason its cheaper. Number two reason, I am retired. And When the wife starts getting on my nerves, I reload, cast bullets or shoot. And if need be repeat. It sure is quiet down in the basement with just the Radio and reloader, to keep me company.
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I stopped reloading 9mm in 2002 when I could buy yellow box Remingtons for $6.00/box of 50.

We all know those days are gone.

I started reloading 9mm again in 2007.
  7. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

You should be able to reload 9mm for half of what cheap WWB cost but have a lot better ammo. I reload everything I shoot except rimfire.
  8. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Agree with Rusty, and the consistancy is well worth reloading IMO..............
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1 MP...reason enough. I guess if I look at my original assumptions for loading .45ACP they all hold true for 9mm as well. Midway, here I come. Prior to buying buying a Baretta 92FS yesterday, the only 9mm I had was a Glock and I just didn't like it.

Thanks for the insight guys.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ALL great reasons.. I cannot add anything... Reload away...
  11. Room 101

Room 101 Former Guest

When I buy a new firearm caliber I also buy the reloading dies and all the supplies to reload it. You never know what will happen. If you already have a press, scale, case trimmer... then your investment is minor. Even if you do not reload them now, you can and may need to reload it in the future.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

101, that is exactly what I do, also. I kind of dislike buying a new caliber because I know that I have to get dies, brass, bullets, and whatever. At the same time, I kind of like buying a new caliber because I know that I have to buy dies, brass, bullets, and whatever. Now tell me that ain't strange.:D:D:rolleyes:

BTW, welcome to the madness, 101.
  13. army mp

army mp Member

To true, I had the itch to get a new rifle. And talked my self out of a 243 for just that reason. I already load 30 30 and 3006. , and got 600 rounds of 308 Mil, surplus rounds in a box of stuff at an Auction some time back.. So now I am the proud owner of a new 308.. and Dies for it. I thought with all the pistol. And the 223, 270. And 30s Why add another caliber.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

strange you say??? Hell I thought that was just one of the symptoms of the addiction...;)