is Jesus God ?

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by Caneman, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

Here is a question that seems to get at the heart of the matter in distinguishing biblical Christianity from other religions, it is the question of the deity of Jesus...

Who died on the cross for our sins:

-a good and moral man
    -an ascended zen master
    -an alien caught in a time warp
    -the uncreated and eternal God of the universe
    -or, something else

It is a historical fact that someone did die on that cross, and there was actually quite an argument in the first few centuries of the early Christian church over it, but it was eventually settled... what say you?
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

YEAH THIS!
    John 10:30 (King James Version)
    Page Options

Add parallel

<<
    <
    =
    =
    >
    >>

Show resources
    John 10:30

King James Version (KJV)

30I and my Father are one.
    20. Zechariah 14:9 - And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.

21. Malachi 2:10 – Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?

22. Matthew 1:23 – Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

23. Mark 12:29 - And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

24. John 1:1-14 - 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2The same was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. 6There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. 8He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. 10He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth

37. Ephesians 4:4-6 – 4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

38. Philippians 2:6-11 – 6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That would be a YES!
  4. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

^^^ This ^^^

What I really find strange is the fact so many "christians" I've known don't have a problem with Jesus being the "SON" of God; yet take offense when you say Jesus "IS" God.

To me, Jesus "being" GOD manifest in the flesh is fundamental to "Christian" faith.

-
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

UHH, yep.
  6. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

Yes.

And that's why I like Tim Tebow. He has the courage to say it on world-wide TV,
    and look how many treat him.
  7. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

i see most of your responses are like "duh" :)

but you do realize that all of the other popular religions of our day do not believe that Jesus Christ is uncreated God eternal, here is a partial list:

JW: Jesus is one of three Gods

Buddhist: there is no God

Islam: Jesus is a man with a prophetic gift

Mormon: Jesus was a man like you and me, in fact he is a brother of Satan, but became a God just as you and i can

Scientology: i don't think they belive in God

Hinduism: you are God

Christian Science: Jesus is the son of God, but not the eternal uncreated God of the universe

I am sure there are more, this is just a small list...
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

the uncreated and eternal God of the universe
  9. Juker

Juker New Member

"Something else" being either insane, a liar, or a fairy tale.

Those deluded enough to spew anything on the above list describes the population of Hell.
  10. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

true, true, he could have been insane or a liar...

a fairly tail, however, is not likely... in fact, there are more historical references to Jesus Christ than Julius Caesar, yet doubters easily discount the existence of Jesus and readily accept Julius Caesar as fact!
  11. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

The above was a loose paraphrase of the famous quote by C.S. Lewis.
    Lewis said "Jesus Chist is either Lord, a liar, or a lunatic." He said this in response to the belief that Jesus was a prophet and a great moral man, but was not the Son of God.
  12. Juker

Juker New Member

Let me be perfectly, exceedingly, abundantly clear -He may be considered by some as insane or a liar, but He could not have been such. I was augmenting the list of blasphemous things unbelievers choose to think about the Lord. I was not remotely suggesting that these are true.
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

John 1:1

Jesus is God.
  14. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

Dont know where you came by this BS. That is not what the MORMAN believe. WE believe Jesus is the SON of GOD, just as the BIBLE says he is...course ifin you wish to argue the point..just direct you arguments to GOD himself...after all you are questioning what is accepted to be GOD's WORD!

Again..Please see above!
  15. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

I have to Respectfully Disagree with you statement. If Jesus is GOD then what happend to GOD the FATHER? after all the Bible tells us Jesus is the SON of GOD. and yes i know there are referanced to jesus saying that the LORD and he are one. although Most of the Most learned Regligious people will point out that Jesus was referring to GOD and HIM being of ONE MIND..ie: thinking alike and agreeing with each other in all things.

Saying Jesus is God is like saying GOD lies when he names Jesus as HIS SON!
    I for one will not, can not cross that bridge! BUT if you wish to then its beween you and GOD to sort out..Not you and me!