is my flintlock antique or a fake?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Megan, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Megan

Megan New Member

I have aquired this gun through a family member who is from Portugal. I have no idea if it is real or not, and I need help figuring it out. From what I can see there are no markings on it. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

:eek:The screw on the flint mech.(cocking lever) looks to be modern or have replaced other screws. Looks a ''wall hanger'' type of firearm used for decoration.
  3. Megan

Megan New Member

so if its just a wall hanger than its not worth anything right?
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sorry, but yes, it is a wall hanger. It was never intended to be a "fake" in the sense that it could be passed off as a real gun. It is just a cast decoration that is made in the shape of a gun. "Guns" like that, copies of guns of different eras, are frequently seen in restaurants or sports bars with a "pirate" or "cowboy" motif. It might be worth $25.

Jim