Is my gun (Model 2EH) a BRNO or a CZ?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Kent Detective, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Kent Detective

Kent Detective New Member

I wonder if someone can advise me if my rifle is in fact a BRNO or a plain CZ?

It looks like a plain and simple CZ 452 BUT it's not. It clearly has the model letters 2EH on it instead. The rifle was made in 1990.

As you will note I'm a Brit living in England. I appreciate that you guys over the BIG pond often get things which we don't and vice-versa. I also know that sometimes makers market there goods differently in other countries etc...

The problem is that I have this lovely rifle which gives conflicting data :eek:-

The Barrel shows a CZ mark as well as a BRNO mark. I'm not sure if it's a CZ or a BRNO. The two companies are both Check (sorry about that spelling).

Were 452's marketed in Europe as BRNO Model 2EH's in the 1990's? :(

Herewith some pics to help you out -

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

1990 was one of the transitional years for Brno and/or CZ (technically, they're one and the same company).
    From '88 to '92-'93, the firearms branch of the plant, Ceska zbrojovka (Czech Ordinance), was split off from the Cz Agrozet division (roughly Czech Ordinance and Agricultural works). Cz Agrozet was a foundry and machine shop that made parts for ag equipment and also some aviation engine parts. In the late 80s, the ag division was moved to other plants and just the firearms part of the business remained.
    Around the same time this was happening, some of the models were changed and/or dropped since Cz was structuring more towards building forearms for the civilian market.
    You can read a bit more at http://wwwczub.cz, (or for a roughly translated english version of the story) http://cz-usa.com/about-cz-ub/

The Brno #2 is indeed the same rifle as the Cz 452. Most of not all parts should be interchangable.
    I've heard that there might be fitting problems with using newer 452 mags in early #2/452 rifles...I believe I read that over at rimfirecentral.com, but I can't be 100% positive of that though since I've only seen one #2.
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Binder nut has it right as usual....

I have a 452 proofed in 96 and it has no Brno markings. I also have a CZ 452-2E ZKM (reciever markings) that also says on the barrel Super Brno SAA 2500. (29" barrel CZ 527 stock with a recoil pad!)) It was proofed in 2002, a year before the end of the Brno label. The only pysical difference I see in your CZ is the ejection port.....The rifles I have marked CZ have a more open ended, or squarish ejection/loading port in the side of the reciever. All Brno's are smaller and round ended, as is your early 452. The later CZ's have the larger more open ejection port, unlike the Brno's. Rest assured that both of your rifles ar born to shoot....and very well indeed.

Enjoy them and never sell them...pass them on to your family. Quality is indeed timeless, as is accuracy, and they are both...

I bet the clips can be made to work if they don't aready....

Best regards, Kirk
  4. Kent Detective

Kent Detective New Member

It seems the Model 2EH may well be a CZ and not a genuine BRNO. :eek: Not such bad news afterall because CZ's are great too...:D