Is nothing new?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by TranterUK, Jun 28, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Imagine my surprise when I am reading about the storming of Beziers in 1209 by Crusaders. Many thousands inside were put to the sword and when asked by a Bishop how the Crusaders would know Catholics from the others, the leader replied 'Ceadite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eir' which translates to 'kill them all, God will recognise his own'.

Sounds familiar?
  2. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I guess you just don't need to change what still works.
  3. Well, it was the French who did that, Tranter. They've always been a bit unstable. :D;)
  4. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

Geez, wasn't just about everyone in the Crusades killed, executed or tortured to death? They certainly didn't take too much time out for much else!
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Appaerntly no one there offered them a white flag. :p

Pops
  6. There were certainly many cases of mass murder associated both with the "Crusades," as in the nine or so formal ones executed against the Muslims in the Middle East, as well as other "crusades" sanctioned by the Church against various schismatic and pagan religious groups in Europe, Slavs, Jews, Russian and Greek Orthodox Christians, Mongols, Cathars, Hussites, Waldensians, Old Prussians, and sometimes just political enemies of the popes. The incident Tranter refers to above occurred a crusade against the Cathars (a schismatic Christian group) in France. Just one among many examples was the Christian capture of Jerusalem in 1099 during the First Crusade. After taking the city, the Crusaders killed virtually every man, woman, and child, some 40,000 in all.