Is older 1970's Herter's ammo collectable?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 300 H&H, May 14, 2009.

1. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

I had the good forture to have some 250 Savage ammunition sold by Herter's of Waseca Minn. given to me.:) I have a fair ammount of it, and wondered if I should just shoot it and reload the casings, or just hang on to it?? The condition of the box's is quite good. Metallic silver and black box color. Brass has some discoloration from age. As shoooting ammo, it would last for quite a while. Also does anyone know who manufactured center fire ammo for Herters? At one time I think I read it was made by Norma, but I could be mistaken.

I also recieved a couple of nearly empty Alcan shoot gun powder 5lb. kegs. In nice condition, are these of any value?

Thanks for your help, Kirk
  2. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Personally, I'd hold some and sell some rather than shooting it up. Can you post some pics?
  3. LASIE

LASIE New Member

I would not shoot it beings there is no herters anymore. Herters used to be like Midway supply is now but the old man manufactured most all of his products his self it was a very big company.