is savage 187j and model 6 the same?HELP

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by accident, Jan 7, 2010.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    middle GA
    I just bought a savage arms springfield model 187j and i can't determine who actually made this .22auto.In one of my .22 books it shows a sears model 25 by high standard that looks like mine.also the bolt stays open until the trigger is released,like an old savage model 6 or astevens model 87.Now to the problem:the trigger pull and travel are horrendous.does anyone know if i can improve this or maybe a gunsmith that might can improve it?The gun is very accurate with match ammo,and it looks as if barely used.It may prove too costly to repair on an old savage,but i sure love shootin it. THANKS for any insight. JOE

2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Imperial, MO
    Any trigger can be improved, its just a fine line between light and crisp and dangerous. A gunsmith could easily do it and it shouldn't be to expensive. If its not a bench gun they may take it to around 3 lbs w/o any problems.

3. accident

Sep 11, 2009
    middle GA
    Thanks Helix FR.now if i can find a book that has assembly/disassembly or just a diagram of savage 187j or its equivalent,I'll tear into it and figure out how it works.Neither of my Gun Digest books on rimfire riflrs show this model or savage model 6 or stevens model 87.I wish i could find the diagram on 187j or equivalent.THANKS joe

4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Imperial, MO
    I look through my stuff. I have books and books of breakdowns and schematics. Sometimes I'm surprised that I don't have a breakdown for particular models but usually there is something out there that is really close.

5. accident

Sep 11, 2009
    middle GA
    thanks for the reply Helix Fr,sorry it took me so long to reply.I think its close to a savage 6. but i can't be sure because it is not in my .22 book either.

6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Imperial, MO
    OK sorry hopefully this is still of use to you but the Springfield 187j, m, n, and jdp are the same as the Savage 6m, and 6n
    I have a schematic on the 187j if you still need one but it also covers the 6m and 6n which I think you already have.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  7. fireresq51

fireresq51 New Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Helix FR do you still have the schematic for the 187j? I could use it. Thanks ahead of time.