Is Taurus worth a poop as to durability?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

AGunguy
    (7/14/01 8:27:05 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Is Taurus worth a poop as to durability?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been wanting a .44 special. Taurus is a possiblity, but I hear guys complaining about their short life span. How can this be...if they have a lifetime warranty? Is their product service department so bad that it would discourage you from trying to get their Taurus fixed.

I'll tell you one thing that is bad about them, sent for a product line catalog and it never arrived. Guess they ain't real anxious to sell anything. Wanted to see if they made the .44 special in anything but the 2 inch barrel stuff. I would like one in 4 to 5 inch if they make 'em.

Gugnuy

Xracer
    (7/14/01 8:41:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Is Taurus worth a poop as to durability?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've never owned a Taurus....but I've never heard much good about them.

Some products have a lifetime warranty because they're a top quality product....

some, because they have such a poor reputation, they need one to sell.

Rons Toys
    (7/14/01 9:32:58 am)
    Xracer is right about that some need the lifetime warranty because they need it. Over the years (since early '80s) I have seen many a gun sales and the one that has the most complaints were the Taurus. I had a 85CH that was shaving lead, sent it back under the warranty 3 times before I told them to keep it. Each time it would work for about half a box and start all over again. Even turned down a new replacement. You Get What You Pay For.
    just my 0.02 Ron

44rugerfan
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/14/01 10:20:48 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Is Taurus worth a poop as to durability?
    From what I have seen and heard, I have come to the conclusion that in the Tuarus factory 75% of the workers can make a gun very well, and 25% are fumbling dolts. I have read posts from several people who own one or two Taurus products and are happy with them. I don't know of anyone who owns alot of them and are happy with them all. I have also read many posts that start with "I used to love my Taurus guns, until I got this one..." and it usually ends with them getting rid of every one they own.
    The Trademark Of Reliability

AGunguy
    (7/14/01 11:15:56 am)
    So, with that sobering news, I bid Taurus...shag off...arse orifices. Me no want trouble gun that don't shoot straight every time.

And I am still stuck looking for that whilothewisp .44 special.

The heck of it is, I've got two barrels and one cylinder in .44 special for a S&W. Had a third barrel, but nice guy in Conn. talked me out of it with filthy money. I'm a sucker for moola. But I cannot find an N-frame to mate to these parts.

I've even got a Colt Newservice .44 special barrel and cylinder that have never been used, never mounted on a revolver. But cannot find a frame for that one either. Had these parts for over 20 years.

Ok, ok, I'll stop blubbering and get on with life.

Gunguy

M Opaliski
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/14/01 12:04:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Is Taurus worth a poop as to durability?
    There is a wise old gentleman that visits this board from time to time, he is a damn good friend to most of us. I remember a while back that he came across a Smith&Wesson Model 624, 4" Bbl., perhaps he may have an interest in parting with it for a good cause. Provided, you are not a Hun ...

I can ask him if you like ... or, perhaps he might see this and recognize who he is.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

AGunguy
    (7/14/01 1:57:26 pm)
    Aye, herr er sir, I am not a hun, nor am I a hun in the sun, nor a son of a hun.

I'm just a lonely ol man that wants a .44 special.

Please talk to your friend, and gasp wheez, cough, cough, hurry will ya, ain't got much longer to go.

Your friend for life if you make me a good deal.

Hmmm, is the model 624 blue steel, or stainless? Stainless has a bad rep on cylinders blowing up. Friend of mine down in Zona land had a model 696 blow up on him with moderate loads at that.

Der Gundenguyun, er Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 7/14/01 3:01:47 pm

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/14/01 2:18:13 pm)
    I believe the gentleman in question has gone south for a week - he'll be back soon enough AGunGuy and I know Opaliski will ask him if not I will.

AGunguy
    (7/14/01 2:41:35 pm)
    Roger that, TLynn. Thanks to both of you.

Gunguy

Investig8tor
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/16/01 9:31:08 pm)
    Charter Arms still make the .44 bulldog with MSPR around $250. Do not know if they are durable or not.

AGunguy
    (7/17/01 3:53:20 pm)
    Son, back east reported once having a Charter Arms (son of Sam type) .44 special. Said it was about like holding a brownning 50 caliber in one hand at arm's length. In other words a bit light...but great for carry.

I dream of something like the 696 but in blue steel that won't blow up on me.

Gunguy