Is the Ruger 1022 hard to find?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Striker911, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Striker911

Striker911 New Member

I go to this pawn shop and the guy is nice but I just had a feeling his prices are high cause where I live most everything is. So he has a brand new 1022 c. The price is $200. I paid $100 for a 22 in the past so I wanted to research prices first. Only I can not find a better deal and the stock is always low where I have looked online. Any insight?

I know ruger is awesome I just hate to over pay. Maybe $200 is my best bet? Rugers website has them for $270. Thought that was strange so I asked why it was so much higher, and have yet to hear back.
  2. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

It is not difficult to find 10/22's cheaper than $200 around here. The problem is shipping it and transfer fees. I don't think you would be able find one and have it shipped in any cheaper than the $200. The very base model will go on sale once in a great while for $169 but add tax and you are getting really close to $200 mark.
    If you really wanted a 10/22 that is not out of line price for a local pickup.
  3. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

Welcome to TFF. Try Wall Mart, seems like the one close by here is under $200
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Many of the "big box" stores like Gander Mountain, Dicks, WalMart, Bass Pro Shops, etc run sales on the Ruger 22s fairly often.....just save your cash and keep up on their sales.
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

$200 is a fair price, go out and buy it. 10 years from now, is it going to matter whether you paid $200 or waited (and missed out on shooting) for a sale and paid $169?
  6. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Decent price,.Tell him you will give a Deuce including taxes.!:) Cliff
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

+1, here at W-Mert the Ruger 10-22's and the Stainless Marlin 60's
    are both around the $200 mark. (same price on both)
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

$200 isn't all that bad of a price these days in my area either...you can find em a bit cheaper on sale though.

Heck...I'm still wondering lamenting that you can't buy a new Marlin 60 for $60 or a 10-22 for $99 anymore. :) And that wasn't all that many years ago.
  9. Zane71464

This was in 1994:
    But it was the Stainless model with the "black" lamintaed stock.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  10. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

Agree it's a fair price. you can also offset the cost by getting a spare mag, a gun case (Ruger of course) and then either a cleaning kit or rounds for it. these range from $10-20 each down here.
    My nephew bought his first 10/22 at a local smaller shop for $225, including tax. i almost choked when he showed me the free extras of the case, & 100rds.
  11. Striker911

Striker911 New Member

Thanks for all the reply's. I have like 600 rounds already and a soft case along with a new scope and new mounts. The Marlin Model 60 was a nice looking gun but would not eject most of the time. Did some digging and found it was common. So after loving the p95 I thought I should try a 1022. When I held it at the store it fit me really well, like the p95 does.

I heard back from ruger today. Said it was sug re price. I will just keep looking for sales or wait till next year. Reason being is that if I dont get a better deal then I can not justify the buy with my wife. I already bought 2 other firearms in the last month. The 22 was the third. That being said, with a $100 price tag out the door its easy to tell her "owe it was just a hundred". Not that it was over, or around 2.
  12. Bindernut

The 60 isn't any worse about functioning than a 10/22. They're both capable of it.
    I've had several 60s and the only one that I had any real problems with was my first .22 rifle (got it when I was 12 or 13). It finally started to act up frequently, but after having something like 15000-20000 rounds through it, I halfway expected it. Even clean and well-oiled, it was just plain tired.
    I've had 10/22s do the same thing...if you can find an old used one. I still think Rugers 10/22 quality has dropped off in the past dozen years or so to, just like Marlin.

the main reason I still prefer the 60 over the 10/22 is that, being a lefty, the 10/22 kicks the empties out right onto the edge of my shooting glasses and occasionally down my collar. the marlin's throw them a bit wider. If you're right-handed though, neither one will give you any problems with that.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  13. jyantkilr

jyantkilr Former Guest

Zane, I got (2) for less than that in 1981, $79.95 ea. heh heh

They still shoot like the day they were unboxed.
  14. Striker911

Striker911 New Member

Well I dont have anything against Marlin except I had one with issues. Was a really good looking arm. In fact they have one at the store that I was going to swap for. My thinking was that not only was it a awesome looking unit but it was new and maybe the problems with mine where fixed by now. Then I held the Ruger. It was a better fit. The Marlin was $40-60 cheaper though.

The thing that got me ready to rid myself of Marlin was when I google "failure to eject" it comes up with people asking that same question a lot more then I would have liked. One guy asked what the issue was and someone said "its a model 60 thing". His father had 2 that did the same thing and never left the cabinet. So that was 3 people with the same 4 guns that had the same issue.

But like I said, I may end up with the new model 60. One thing about the 22 spent case is that in retro spect its one light baby and that tells me failure to eject would be easy to fall into. So the arm manu that I know of to be the most reliable would have to be the Ruger. That was beat in my brains by an old friend that was a gun smith.

I dont have a preference any other way since I am just getting into the hobby, but Ruger guns also feel better in hand to me. I took a loss on my first buy. Taurus pt111 to get a p95. The pt was a sweet arm but I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it. Everyone I let handle it could but not me. The Ruger belongs and I hit things with it. So thats my exp so far.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  15. Zane71464

NICE price for them back then and wished they were the same
    price today!
    The one I bought new I eneded up getting rid of it back some
    time ago and have been kicking myself every since!!!!:(
    (my rear is still brused)
  16. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Ahhh, good memories. The first Mini-14 I bought was about $189.
  17. Bindernut

No problem Striker,
    I can understand the "it just feels better" thing. The 10/22 stock (the deluxe sporter moreso than the std carbine) fits me better than the 60 too.
    For me, the 597 Remington fits better than either so that's my favorite autoloader rimfire. Everyone has their own preference.

My last post was mainly to point out that you'll likely find that there are just as many 10/22 out there that FTF, FTE, or other malfunction just as often as the Model 60.
    If you look at most of the threads concerning "my .22 doesn't cycle" problems, nearly all of those problems are due to maintenance/cleaning issues or ammo problems with just an occasional mechanical failure in the mix.

And you've probably already seen it as well, but you'll notice that most folks don't go out praising their favorite .22 when it's working fine. But they complain about the least little failure. Per capita, there are more complaint posts than praise posts...but the actual functioning rate is more than likely the other way around.
    I just don't buy into the "it's a Model 60 thing" or "it's a 10/22 thing" type of blanket statements that are all over the forums (and gun show lobbys too). Unless I'm hearing it from a factory tech or someone that's got known years of experience 'smithing on a particular model I take it with a grain of salt until I experience it myself. If it's "a thing" that's a problem then by now either it would be fixed or that model would have been taken out of production a long time ago. :)
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  18. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Here's everything you'll need to know about Marlin FTE's...avoid Remington Golden Bullsquish & Thunderdud ammo, and read the post below.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388240
  19. Zane71464

+1 Shrek! I personally wont buy or shoot any Remington .22 rimfire ammo
    in any firearm I own.
  20. pawn

pawn New Member

10/22 is probably the most widely available semi automatic on the planet. 2 bills is a fair price.