Is the Ruger 1022 hard to find?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Striker911, Mar 1, 2012.

1. GregD

GregD New Member

I do most of my Walmart shopping in West Baton Rouge, the ladies in the sporting goods are really nice. This Walmart has a pretty good selection of ammo and long guns. I recently purchased a box of Reminington .22 shorts ,100 round plastic box and also two bulk boxes of Federal (40 grain lead). I later discovered the .22 shorts were mislabeled and the box contained 22long rifle 40 grain lead. I sent Remington an email and advised them of the problem and the fact that it was not a "big deal" for me, they replied with an apology and had notified the ammo plant.

There are numerous Walmart stores in Baton Rouge that are terrible and I will not walk in these stores. The crime rate in Baton Rouge (my home town) is out of control since hurricane katrina, if you get my drift. I live in Pointe Coupe Parish and we are finally getting a Super Walmart, it should be completed by November this year.
  2. GregD

GregD New Member

Thanks . I'm sort of a .22 freak, I have purchased seven more .22 firearms in the last 8 months. I don't know what the future holds but I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. I know what the . 22 rimfire can do, witnessed it during my 33 years of LE, of which 30 years working detectives. I like all the .22 rilfes, bolt, lever action, pumps and of course the semi-auto, both Marlin and Ruger . Only two rifles have scopes, I still prefer shooting iron sights.

I recently picked up a couple of the bulk boxes of .22 Blazers (525) at Academy, $19.95 a box (?), good ammo . I'm partial to the 40 grain lead, but also have lots of the Remington Yellow Jacket HP.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  3. jrprich

jrprich New Member

I bought my 10/22 for $160 at a local Bi-Mart in January. Syn stock
  4. somawas

somawas New Member

Consider this if you're considering a 10/22. I've seen used 10/22's manufactured between the mid 70's to mid 90's with the asking/ out-the-door price of $150 to $1200 and new 10/22's from $200 to $600 and a Kidd or Volquartsen 10/22 from a $1000 to $4000. I've seen new and used Marlin Model 60's go for a price of $60 used (out-the-door) to $250 new.

I presently own and shoot a number of .22 rimfire rifles- including the Marlin Model 60 and Ruger 10/22 as well as some others. I've come to the conclusion that all of them have features and characteristics that I like and dislike. I'm not enthusiastic about the tube magazine on the Model 60- a real pain to remove rounds from the magazine and then deal with the loose rounds- but I do like its' relative reliability and accuracy- with particular ammo- and real simple bolt lock. For the use I put my Marlin to, it's accurate enough for squirrel control with CCI or Remington hollow point subsonic ammo. I like the Ruger 10/22 for it's dependability, and ability to accept an endless combination of aftermarket parts to improve it's function and accuracy- matter of fact, I have a 10/22 capable of shooting 1/2" groups with cheap Federal bulk ammo(Auto Match AM22) where the only Ruger manufactured part is the ten round box magazine. The results would probably are better with subsonic "premium" ammo. I also own two other Ruger 10/22's with some modifications. One of these rifles absolutely loves Remington's 40 gr subsonic ammo- who-da-thunk. I also own Savage, and Remington .22's. I'm at a point where each rifle is used for a particular task and reason.

I've shot many brick of .22 ammo and found that ALL .22's are particular regarding brand/ lot of ammo. Some 22's shoot CCI well and other stuff fair or not well at all. Some shoot Federal well and not other brands. Keep in mind that each owner has to determine what ammo shoot well in their firearm.

Have I paid "too" much for any particular rifle? Maybe. It's not an issue though. In terms of what I ultimately pay for a firearm, I'm not concerned with it's worth, but what I'm willing to pay and is it what I want. If price is the major concern and you want "new" buy a Mossberg 702 or 802 Plinkster, otherwise, look around with cash (or credit card) in hand, depending on where you are- Walmart, pawn shop, or gun shop, etc.- be willing to try to negotiate on price, and purchase what ever catches your eye at a price that you're willing to pay.
  5. Striker911

Striker911 New Member

I missed that one. They are back up to 199 now.

Thanks for the input. Some of witch opened my eyes. On the price thing though it is an issue. it dictates rather I have ONE or none. I dont like shooting a 22. Never wanted one till I ate a rabbit, then after buying this place, noticing they are all over my 5 acres.

Id rather have a 30-6. The smallest arm I shoot as of now is a 9mm. Its fun but anything lower and its for sale. My excitement factor comes from the kick. 12ga 3" mag buck shot is my baby. Even to just shoot the ground with it gets me off. All I really have to shoot is cans. Would like to get into hitting steel though.
  6. larry reed

larry reed New Member

man i got my 10/22 out of the paper about 15 miles from my house went to see it and it was a ruger 10/22 all stanles steel with stanles steel scope with nice as heck wood stock with a hammer forged ruger barrel stanless all man what a nice gun with 2 25shot banana clips and 1 rotor clip that holds 10 shots i LOVE IT amo is cheep and the best thing is it dont hang up i had to have it. good thing i got my incometax check . i went home with it i paid 400$$ big 1ns . Whare are the Zombes now . :D:D
  7. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

they are both good guns,, have several of both,, the ruger is shorter but same weight as marlin,,, longer barel on the marlin makes it a bit more accurate for longer distances,,
    have never had either fail,,
    last few years have found myself prefering an older savage bolt action,, will take everything from shorts to long, long rifle and shot shells i have to use on the dam pecker woods when they get in my shop and start tearing up the overhead beams,,,, cant do that with a semi auto
    but mostly just personal preference,,
    my first ruger paid $65 for it with 4x scope back in '73.... wish i had a few more
    depending on where u are have several malin 60's and a 99 that will part with for $100,have been gone thru,,, trying to clean out toooo many toys
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  8. Striker911

Striker911 New Member

I ended up choosing a basic Remington 30-6 and a brand new Marlin 22. Bought ammo for them both and was turned down after the wait. I then found out that some old traffic tickets are back to bite me. So I started a thread here looking for advice on getting all that cleared up. I could have just had my wife buy them for me and been within the law but I really just want to get it all cleared up. Unfortunately its going to take a couple or even a few years to clear it all up. Thought I was buying the last of the guns for the collection but they will have to wait. If I have my wife buy them it will just take longer to clear my name. To bad I cant take the ammo back : (
  9. ozo

ozo Active Member

10. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I have two for sale, anyone interested, all original 978-424-7024 Cliff