Is There a Best All Around Holster ?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 44 Special, Sep 12, 2012.

1. 44 Special

44 Special New Member

I've been carrying concealed many years now,and have bought,and tried many holsters for the different handguns I carry.

Carry changes due to hot,or cold weather,and the clothing worn. I have a fair collection of holsters,some of which I've only worn once,and put in the holster box.

Don't care much for the plastics,due to the wear to the weapon.I know all holster produce finish wear to a point. My thing is some holsters work great while standing,or walking,but,the second you take a drive,the comfort level disappears.

I like IWB for general carry,but find it is uncomfortable while driving.I don't like swapping to a shoulder holster,or cross draw to drive ,even though they are more comfortable while driving,however,the moment one steps out of their vehicle,I feel I lose concealment, wearing a shoulder,or cross draw,and of course ,the shoulder holster is totally out of the question in the summer.

I know there is no magic answer,hence,a box full of holsters !My favorite IWB is a Milt Sparks type,while my favorite belt holster is the Askins Avenger style.I've tried Crossbreed,and Galco concealment,and they work well,but don't feel comfortable when I drive .

I usually wind up carrying my weapon tucked under my right leg while driving,and holster it,before I exit the vehicle,but,I don't like that practice.

I guess the bottom line is,if anyone has found a good,all around comfortable holster for concealment,that is equally comfortable when you drive,I would be interested in hearing your choices !
  2. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I just use the lightweight, velcro strapped or plastic clipped nylon holsters - they're comfortable and have a lot of options as to how to use them.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

most of the leather IWB holsters are pretty good. I make my own with 9oz leather because they're so freakin' expensive to buy. But $75-100 can get you a nice one.

I'm also a huge fan of the Serpa holsters from Blackhawk, as much as I hate Blackhawk and their made in china crap.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I'm working to get my 3rd now. I was thinking the Crossbreed IWB and have a guy makng me one like those, IWB for a bit cheaper.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

To answer the question in your title, no. If there were a best all around that could be agreed on, the others wouldn't be made anymore.

I prefer pocket carry because that's the only way I consistently will carry. But it limits me to tiny guns.

When I'm carrying something big, I just forget the idea of concealment. I have a nice OWB Galco, and I really do like it. Probably would still be concealed under a jacket, but I don't care.
  6. Airdale

Airdale Member

7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    CampingJosh got it right! No such thing as "Best All Around Holster" for everyone. We all have our favorite holsters, and we all carry in a manner that suits each of us. I cary a 1911A, and I use a Yaqui style belt slide holster. Don't have any problems with sitting, driving, stand, walking, or falling down! In the summer months when it is hot I use the Smart Carry system, while wearing a T shirt, basketball shorts, and sandles. http://www.smartcarry.com/

Attached Files:

8. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I use a milt sparks executive companion. I think this style is the most versatile. It's not perfect, but I think it is the best for the most circumstances. Some are more comfortable in some situations, but the IWB is more concealable, which is the more important thing for me. Driving and sitting is the only drawback for IWB for me. IF I am out in the woods hunting and already visibly armed, I will carry OWB.
  9. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

I keep one in my IWB one between the seat and and the center console in a modded fobus and one in a pouch sewn into the the front of the seat cover.
  10. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

In a word, no. I find that when driving my normal carry holster is fine, but I need to adjust its position on my belt to move it to where it doesn't "jab" me. I've never used one, but have often read of cross-draw holsters being most comfortable (and more easily brought into action) for carry while driving.
  11. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Got mine two weeks ago, and it works great with my G29.
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Good to hear, as I'll be needing, or wanting on for the Glock 19. I was going to have a guy make me one, but for the price....about the same.
  13. jce07a

jce07a New Member

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-75-11-yaqui-slide-holster.aspx
    i used this for a while, and it was alright but i disliked how far from my body it let my gun sit in comparison to my raven concealment http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/phantom-modular-holsters/phantom-modular-holster

and i also recently got this:http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/vanguard-holster-systems/other-holsters-vanguard-holster
    which combined with a clipdraw is a pretty nice little thing to have for simple iwb carry

one of my room mates swears by the el paso leather yaqui slide holster, the other swears by a crossbreed, i like the raven concealment...its all personal preference but my opinion is that raven concealment does a dang good job for my needs and style.
  14. B27

B27 New Member

Askins Avenger.
    Straight drop open top.

Galco makes a version the call the Avenger.

But the best version IMO is the Kramer Vertical Scabbard.