The Firearms Forum banner

Is there a parent whose hobbies include reloading?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  zant 
#1 ·
That's is what my wife was just asked today while at the pediatrician for our son's 9 month check-up. You might think they would pass out common sense advice like wash your hands after handling lead (from any source) without the need to collect data.

Have any of you been asked this question at a doctor's office? In addition to washing your hands would you change clothes or take other measures before doing anything with your children following a reloading session? I'm not an alarmist, but I now have to deal with a new mom that is starting to think I should also put on a smock before I can change a diaper or feed our son.

#2 ·
I can fully understand your concern. When our first child was born, every thing was STERILE! Number two was a bit less, but still we were very careful, third one was a BOY! He was roughhoused, (still is) and things were relaxed even more, and our poor caboose, another girl, was lucky if we shook the dirt off whatever she dropped. All of them are hardy, great parents, super citizens, and they followed our pattern, the second and third child was pampered and loved, but not as zealously as the first born (as far as sterile goes)

#3 ·
It is not just washing hands. I have had elevated blood lead levels (but not organ lead) in the past. It is best to keep your reloading activities confined to a room where you child isn't allowed to be unsupervised. The byproducts of primer combustion, bore cleaning, bullet casting and case cleaning all have to potential to leaving lead residue where it can be picked up on the skin then ingested if you don't wash up prior to eating or drinking. The dust from a vibrating case tumbler can also be a source of airborne lead.

I would read up on ways to reduce lead exposure and show the articles to your wife. As far as I know, while the OSHA recommended blood lead level is <30 ppb (?), for kids it is <5ppb.

I normally take a shower and change my clothes after casting or reloading; I get dirty doing it anyway. My blood lead levels have stayed between 7-15.

It's good your doctor is asking about hazards in the home. Don't let a baby get lead in them; from paint, ammo or anything else.

#5 ·
Its not a hobby..so answer would be NO! Its a way of life and economics.

Reactions: Twicepop
#6 ·
New parents can be nuts! My first child was spoiled rotten, and every thing was done with her safety in mind. The next too kids were both boys, and they got treated a whole lot different. As gdmoody stated, all my kids helped me reload, and they shot right along side of me. It's a problem the libs are trying to fix, that simply doesn't exist. Like criminals registering their stolen guns!

#7 ·
I think there's a pattern starting to form.
With my first child, if she fell or hurt herself, then it was the old pickup and cuddle the child .
With time and the rest off the kids, it ended up being " if they ain't bleeding then leave them alone"
With in reason of course.

And yes my kids did help with reloading , but not when LEAD was involved.

#8 ·
yes.. the last 2 times me and the wife have been to the doctor we have been asked if there are firearms in the household, and some other gun related question.. can't remember how it was worded.. but was something to see if you were around firearms.

both the wife and I simply did not answer the question as we felt it was un-needed info. there were other questions we didn't answer either for the same reason. so it's not like out of a 20 question paper just the 2 gun ones weren't answered..e tc.

IMHO.. it's none of their business either way. If i'm in for a tetanus shot because i stepped on rusty metal nail out ont he farm.. them providing accurate health care to me does not hinge upon them knowing if i like guns or not. the vaccine and antibiotics are going to be the same for gun owners and non gun owners.

#9 ·
I've never been asked such a question, but then I don't have kids around anymore. I wouldn't answer it either, and would probably go off on the Drs. office for even asking it! There are other doctors that you can see.

#10 · (Edited)
We had previously been asked the "Do you own a gun question?" verbally so we answered "No" as it seemed like an easy way to dodge the question even though we don't like to lie. So when asked about lead my wife said "no" as well. It turns out that the question involved several lead based hobbies so she could have truthfully said "Yes, my husband solders electronics all of the time." She is an RN and needed no prompting to go research lead hazards, but internet sources of information are often absurd so I appreciate knowing what everyone else here does about it.

Yes, we could see another doctor. In fact, the other doctor in that office is her uncle and he once asked her "Do you have a gun?" when he found out she would be on best rest alone at home while pregnant. I assured him she was deadly with a 1911. Even if we saw him we'd get the same question as the medical office is the one asking the question. I suppose we could try to find a medical office that doesn't offend me, but I value that the doctor has twins that were born premature and was recommendation by my wife's uncle. Some day I hope to live in an area not dominated by such ways of thinking.

I am no coddler, even on my first child. My son was born 2 months early and spent a month in the NICU so any worrying that I did was related to him still breathing or germs until the doc said he was up to snuff and could now go out into the world. A few weeks ago I sat him on the floor to play and made sure he was one body length from all hard objects. When the inevitable happened and he toppled over I glanced over to make sure he did in fact miss the coffee table then went back to what I was doing. My wife wasn't quite so calm about it, but I assured her that I had accounted for him falling. I will pick dog hair out of his mouth and off items that fall on the floor, but nothing gets washed before going back in his mouth. Likewise I am not planning to shower after reloading, but need to know what is reasonable and responsible for normal people like us.

My current stash of ammo includes plated, jacketed, and hard cast lead that you can't dent with a fingernail. I told my wife that if I'm out there working with clean brass that the only lead would be on my hands from handling bullets and probably very little of it at that. Does this sound like a truthful claim and does anyone know of any studies that show that hard cast lead and jacketed or plated bullets are not a significant source of lead?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.