Is there a problem with PayPal for gun sales?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charles Christensen, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

My wife was on eBay and read something that said that any sales of firearms paid for through PayPal would result in the freezing of your account. Does anyone have any info on this?
  2. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

eBay doesn't allow firearms sales. eBay owns Paypal. Paypal doesn't allow firearms purchases. Simple as that.

Of course they won't know it is if it is a sale outside of eBay.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

pay pal now owned by ebay are low thieving ####s

i sold a scope , the gent got it and was happy , they froze my account and took the entire ammount in the account and as i'm a Aussie i have no rights , p[atriot act protects ebay and paypal from overseas litigation, so i gotta come to the US to sue to get my funds back

they took not only the funds for the scope but took $620 extra , no correspondance no nothing when i went to the cops they said i breached their rules but selling guns

i cant sell gun on ebay here i'm in australia , but i can sell parts and accessories and scopes

cops wont act cause ebay says different from the facts

if i saw a ebay /paypal boss in trouble , i'd walk on by and cheer on my way

evil bay sucks pay pal aint ya pal , its a scam
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

5 days ago, my sons MS acct got hacked, and 100 dollars worth of stuff was charged to his paypal acct. He contacted MS and paypal and informed them both of the breach. Day before yesterday, paypal took his money anyway!:eek: :mad::mad::mad:

He contacted them again today, and they (paypal) told him they'd move his claim up a notch. :mad::mad::mad:

So much for the fine print. :AR15firing:
  5. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I've used Paypal for years, selling on ebay as well as using it for payments on my sight tools and most of my business purchases. I've never had any problems, as when I started using them I took the time to actually read the sections pertaining to prohibited usages. Firearm purchases are only allowed from a seller that had been approved by Paypal, not sure what the process would be for that. Ammunition purchases are also not allowed, as are numerous other items such as "adult" entertainment items, it's pretty specific. You can read across the internet people who had their accounts frozen and terminated, one thing in common is that they basically didn't pay attention to the rules. Remember, Paypal's located in California, that will explain most of it. Their standing on the firearm and ammunition stems from avoiding implication in the use of the same in illegal activities that could lead to them being included in any lawsuits.
  6. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Banks will do the same thing until they have a chance to investigate the purchase, make sure you aren't trying to pull a fast one. It's just business.
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Not in my experience.

My debit card has been hacked twice in the past. One phone call to my bank locked everything up. Tight!

Paypal took his money anyway. They KNEW there was a dispute and robbed him. :mad:
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Jack, I believe you. As an eBay seller (100+) I am hostage to the buyer. If i state th price and they win the bid,,, they can then renegotiate. If i don't agree, the buyer gives me a negative rating and I can do nothing. EBay says that I am just like a literal store and the custmoer comes first. i say, a kiteral store with a brick and mortar foundation can and will deny a refund. But a seller on ebay can't. Pay pal surely is not the customers pal.
  9. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

over the years I've bought a boat load of firearm related items on eBay and paid thru PayPal and never had a problem.

I just sold a B&C stock, he paid with PP.
  10. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

i dunno about you guys, but i'm just gonna stick to cash, or at the most, a check in the mail.
  11. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

We were with PayPal from before it was PayPal (it was called X.com when it started). Was a Gold PowerSeller on eBay with gun parts doing $5K a month just with PayPal. Then Virginia Tech happened and eBay/PayPal shut it down, just like that. Lost about $500.

Dumped eBay and PayPal both, never looked back.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I only use em when i hafta and I dont keep a paypal balance. Money is transferred to paypal whan i need to use it and any payments made to paypal get transferred to my bank account within 24 hours. they are crooked, but their existence is necessary in some cases..
  13. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I have a separate bank account strictly for PayPal. It has $10.00 in it so I don't have to pay a monthly fee. If I buy something, I transfer just enough into it to cover the purchase. If I sell something, the money is transferred out as soon as it hits the account. I DO NOT carry any kind of a "PayPal" balance.

I would prefer to work with Postal Money Orders, but Ebay is making that difficult to do anymore.......
  14. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I've never had a problem, even had claims with PayPal before. Yes you lose the money for some time, but think if you were on the other side as a buyer. I would be pissed if I sold something, shipped it, and then PayPal just decided since there was a dispute I did not get my money.

Gotta protect both sides.

I got all my money back on my claim, was not overnight but I got it back and at minimal effort on my part too.
  15. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

They are well known for harassing gun buyers.Many gun auctions say no Pay Pal.Thats for good reason.