Is there a source for Winchester load data (powders)

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Wizekraker, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Wizekraker

Wizekraker New Member

My Winchester model 70 .270WSM shoots very well with Factory Winchester 150 gr balistic silvertip bullets. How can I find out which powder Winchester uses in this retail store shelf bullet load?
  2. medalguy

medalguy Member

I don't think you can ever determine the exact powder used in a commercial load. The ammo manufacturers don't necessarily use cannister powders that we can buy over the counter, but load something like military loads with bulk powders and even proprietary powders that aren't sold to the public. All you can do is find the bullet/powder that works best in your rifle. Remember commercial loads are designed to work in every rifle of that caliber, but that load may not be the best for your rifle.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Powders as used by commercial reloaders like Winchester are not available to the public because, unlike canister powder we reloaders can buy, no two batches of powder are exactly the same. They test each batch and adjust the quantity of powder to get the same velocity for each ammo lot. That much varibility in powder would not be good for us reloaders.

But you can bet Winchester probably uses a powder similar to one of their own canister powders. Look up reloading data as specified by them for their powders and see which data most closely matches their advertised specs for their commercial ammo, taking into account barrel length differences, if there are any.

But there is a better way: just develop an accurate load through testing using any powder you want. Try different bullets, powders, seating depths until you find the most accurate load for you particular rifle. It will not be the same as your buddy's load, even with the same exact gun model.

LDBennett
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

True, but this is what Winchester says about it's Supreme Ammo line.

WINCHESTER® SMOKELESS PROPELLANT “For Loading Professionalsâ€
    Tim Vaitekunas Director of Marketing and R&D today announced a potent new addition to the Winchester Smokeless line called Supreme 780™. Supreme 780 is the same powder loaded in Winchester’s factory Supreme® ammunition including 243 Win., 270 Win., and 300 Win. Mag.

“This propellant allows the handloader to duplicate Winchester Supreme factory loads,†said Tim discussing this product. “Our state-of-art ballistics laboratory has initially developed data for 14 different cartridges with over 35 different recipesâ€.

Supreme 780 is a Ball Powder® propellant, which means easy measure flow resulting in the most consistent charge weights. Comparable in burn speed to H4831®, it fills a spot that previously was not available in Winchester Smokeless offerings.

One and eight pound containers will be available at dealers Spring 2008. Supreme 780 reloads are now on-line at wwpowder.com in the Reloading Data Center. For more information call 913-362-9455 or write to 6231 Robinson, Shawnee Mission, KS 66202.

*Ball Powder® is a registered trademark of General Dynamics Corporation.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

If its any help Wizekraker, I can tell you that using AA Magpro and Viht 165 has produced amazing accuracy in my 270wsm. The magpro is a ball powder and meters great, shoots clean and made me feel like I knew what I was doing when I shot five rounds in 1/2 inch at 100 yds, probably couldnt do it again, but its darn accurate!
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

steve has the snswers, 780 is indeed the exact powder used in commercial WSM loads as well as the calibers steve listed. you can e-mail Hodgdon for the load data since they own Winchester powders
  7. RandyP

RandyP Member