Is there an effective "dry" lube for guns?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jrprich, Mar 9, 2012.

1. jrprich

jrprich New Member

Is there an effective "dry" lube for guns?

It seems hard not to over lubricate with the usual gun oils like Break Free and Slip 2000. I am tired of oily actions.:bleh:
    Has anyone found a dry gun lubricant that works for them? :confused:

Thanks in advance,
    Jim
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Agreed. Frog lube is an excellent accompanying lube to SBGO. Used together and sparingly, I rarely have to relube my weapons, and the actions arent at all greasy.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I used Dri-Slide when I was competing because most of my matches were in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona and we were always shooting in the wind which carried a lot of sand.

The good thing was it worked very well. The bad thing was I carried it in my gun box and as soon as one person knew I had it everybody knew and then each would "borrow" just a little till my can was empty.

Took 3 matches but I finally learned that paper bags are your friend. :D
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

BeesWax? :lmao:
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm going to have to get me some SBGO.
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Is SGBO that good? I would think a light dose of 3n1 would do the trick. I dont trust wd40 even though it says that it wont rust metal. Had some bad experiences with metal parts that didnt have anything to do with guns. Automotive stuff you know. What do you think Highboy?
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

3-n-1 is a great multi purpose oil but it is not designed for guns. I use 3-n-1 on the door hinges of my old Ford and when I leave the desert the dust is stuck to the oil. That is what would happen in the action of a firearm IMO.

I have never used WD40 on a firearm. I used Hoppes #9 for decade and still have 3 new large containers. I have about every product available because I try all of them but so far I like the Rem Oil the best.

I will say that many of the products today are better than yestardays products but used incorrectly they can work against the intended use. The incorrectness that I am talking about is over use. Too much lubricant is not a good thing. It's is kind of like using too much silicon on a gasket. If you use too much the silicon can begin breaking off and become trapped inside of what it is being used to seal. That is how oils are. It just takes enough to get it clean, a good wipe dowm and a good film for protectant. If your trigger is dripping with oil, that oil will solidify a little bit and the first dusty windy day the action will become gummed up with dirt and there goes function right out the window. I just need to get some SBGO and see how it does.

If WD40 does work that is cool. I just now it's 2 primary purposes are 1) moisture removal (Water Dissapation 40th try = WD40) and 2)penetrating for fastener removal. It is superior for both of those needs. I notice it does gum up when I use it on certain things so I would be reluctant to use in on the action of a firearm.

These are just my opinions and observations. It does not mean that I am right.
  9. Polydorus

Polydorus New Member

I'm also a fan of Dri-Slide. The only problem I had with it is winding up with blackened hands. :)
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

SBGO is that damn good GR.
  11. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

So far I have been impressed with Gunzilla. It goes on wet but dries down nicely. It is good as a cleaner and lubricant.
  12. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Ill be buying some SBGO soon then
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Woodnut has it. PM him.
  14. jrprich

jrprich New Member

Thanks to all for their info and opinions

Jim
  15. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

I have been giving EEZOX a try lately. I use it to clean the gun then a light coat for lubrication and rust prevention. It dries after a bit so there is no oily film. I start with a swab down the barrel then a bronze brush then another swab followed by a wipe-down of the gun. Quick, effective and easy.

Get it on eBAY - member ID is holsterwear.
  16. jrprich

jrprich New Member

I was headed toward EEZOX but then I read the MSDS for it.
    And then there were many posts about the foul smell :bleh:
    I am going to try Froglube next.

BTW, if you like EEZOX you might want to try the online pricing at http://suburbansportinggoods.com/gun-care-supplies-amp-kits.html
    I found his prices to usually be lower than ebay and his shipping is reasonable as well.
  17. Charles Christensen

I would not call the smell of EEZOX foul but it is a strong chemical odor. I think it is silicone.
  18. Charles Christensen

My wife checked and EEZOX is cheaper on eBAY.