is there any hope for a cheap pistol.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by josh, Oct 4, 2004.

1. josh

josh New Member

Hi Im new here and have a few questions.
    I have a lorcin model L380 380 caliber automatic. Gun was real cheap and really shiny so it caught my eye. I dont expect miracles in accuracy but reliable feeding would be nice.
    The gunshops around here wont touch it and all say a cheap pistol wont be reliable. I can accept that but is there any way to make it even a little better?It is almost worthless as a trade in so I plan to keep it. it would be nice if it did more than shine.
    That beaing said i am in the market for a reliable automatic pistol. I kind of have my heart set on a 45 in the cz or eaa witness.
    Any thoughts? Are these a good choice?

Any and all opinions are welcome. Even throw it in the river . :)
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

The Lorcin is a nightmare, please get rid of it as soon as possible. Trade it in. Expect about $35 in trade.

If your budget is in the $250 or less category., then I would recommend the following:

1. CZ52 7.62 x 25
    2. Russian or Bulgarian Makarov.
    3. Kel Tec P11 9mm
    4. Bersa Thunder. .380ACP
    5. Llamma Micromax .45ACP

These are my best recommendations for you in the $250 or less budget range NIB.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  3. josh

josh New Member

thanks for the info. I was looking at a llama but it made me nervous cuz it was so cheap. i got offered 40 for the lorcin. woohoo LOL.
    The lorcin is just cheap right?It isnt prone to explode in my hand or anything like that is it?
  4. Remington597

There have been known instances of them exploding, along with Ravens, Davis Cobras, and Bryco Jennings. The quality of construction is exceedingly poor and the metal quality is horrific. I would take the $40 and apply it as trade equity toward the Llama or any of the others mentioned. Bersa-Llama is a very reputable Spanish gunmaker and they are manufactured now in Argentina
    . I've been shooting them for years with no problems, I would also strongly recommend the Kel Tec P11.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

My son has a Bulgarian Makarov which shoots well and appears to be a fine little pistol.
  6. Remington597

Marlin:
    I have one also, and the Makarov is indestructable, just like the CZ. When it comes to price and dependability, they are hard to beat.
  7. Wadcutter

Wadcutter New Member

You can pick up a Ruger p90 .45 for under 300 bucks if you don't mind a used pistol. A bit bulky but works every time.
  8. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok New Member

If you are looking for a affordable .45 check out a Firestorm or LLama. The first new handgun I bought was a goverment model Firestorm .45 and it cost me $300 out the door. I have over 1000 rounds of mostly FMJ but a few HP's and only had about three of the HP's keep the slide from going into battery, so I only shoot FMJ's thru it, but hey it's a big ol bullet. Now if you really want something, save up and buy you a Glock before some of these others around here try to talk you out of it. ;)

Here is a pic of my Firestorm and my Glock.

Attached Files:

9. josh

josh New Member

Thanks for all the help. I have been looking at a lot of stuff online. That llama looks like it might be just the ticket. The pricing on the web is also way lower than the cz. Which is good cuz that is money i can save for my next one.
    I havent been able to find any info on the makarov though. Does anyone have a link?
  10. Remington597

Sure, go into any gunshop. I will bet you that they will have a Makarov. I have never been to a gunshop that did not have one or had access to one. If there are none close by.
    You will need to look one up and do an FFL transfer.
    www.auctionarms.com
    www.gunsamerica.com
    Also, here is another great page. -- www.makarov.com
  11. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Hey there,
    I just picked up a Bersa Thunder .380 as a BUG. I paid $209 for it, brand new at the gun store & I have to say, so far I'm really impressed with it. So I did some checking on the net and it looks like I'm not alone. It shoots well, it hides easily, it's lightweight and I haven't had it jam yet even with JHP. I have to admit, I've only fired about 250 rounds so far, but I think you'll be really happy with it.
    Good Luck,
    Huck Finn
  12. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

P.S.
    I forgot to add that the Bersa has a lot of built in safeties. It has a thumb safety, a decocker & a safety that will disengage the trigger when the mag is removed. It's a well thought out little pistol!
  13. Remington597

I firmly agree with you on the Bersa Thunder ,and its fun to shoot as well. I would also recommend another PPK clone to folks that shoots almost identically to the Bersa Thunder, and is made my a sister company. It is the .22LR equivalent of the Bersa Thunder, its the Firestorm .22LR semi auto.
    Try it., here it is: I use CCI Stingers in it and it also feeds Blazer .22LR . This Firestorm is the identical Bersa Thunder and is also available in .380ACP as well as the .22LR, but the .22LR is easier on the pocket book as far as plinking target practice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  14. Glocker

Glocker New Member

If you want reliable, get a Glock.

Just bought a new G19 today. :cool:
  15. rjjrwi

rjjrwi New Member

just got a used Ruger p89 off of a gunbroker auction , gun is in like new condition , even with the shipping and the transfer fees on my end i only have $279 in the gun and it shoots really nice
  16. stash247

stash247 New Member

If you make the move to a .45, please consider a 1911 pattern pistol first.
    Accessories, spares, etc are as rife for the pistol as for a small block chevy, and priced the same way. It's popular because it works!
    I'm not putting down Llama, Star, or other "look alikes", but by the time you buy mags, grips, etc for them, you will have spent as much, or more, than you'd have spent on a Colt.
    Just a thought...
  17. Remington597

I think a Firestorm , Llama , and others will yield you all the accessories in the world and you will not even approach 1/2 the price of a Colt. Colt is phenomenal, but when comparing price, I think its a poor comparison, even with all the accessories put together, for the budget conscious consumer, Kel Tec, Llama, Bersa, and Firestorms; offer viable and dependable alternatives, but to compare price , its not even close. IMHO.
  18. stash247

stash247 New Member

I bought a Star PD years ago, as a used pistol, and shot the heck out of it; it shot center, and reliably. Mags were 30 bucks each, then! Any 1911 pattern gun, whether colt, springfield, auto ordinance, kimber, etc will use the same 5 buck, surplus mags, that you can find in any gunshow.
    My Officer's model, and three Detonics pistols, will, too.
    Sights, sears, triggers, and such are almost non-existant for the Star, Llama, Ballester Molina, etc pistols.
    Best compromise, in my book, might be a 1922 Argentine , as it is a Colt, thru and thru, and ofte priced a $300-350 after haggling a bit.
    No disrespect intended to you, Remington, or to the pistols, just that I hate making the parts because they can't be bought!
    Hope this clarifies my prior post.... Terry
  19. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok New Member

Copied from www.firestorm-sgs.com

1911 compatibility list:

COLT 1911 Parts Compatibility List

The following after-market 1911 parts will work on the Llama Max I 45 L/F and C/F, Llama Max II IX-C and IX-D, MiniMax, MiniMax II and MiniMax Sub-Compact; FireStorm 45 Government, Compact and Mini Compact Models (older style Llama IX-A,B):

Barrel Bushing
    Guide Rod Assembly
    Springs (Recoil, Hammer and Sear)
    Trigger
    Hammer
    Main Spring Housing
    Barrel Link and Pin
    Bushing Type Compensators
    Hammer Strut
    Sear and Sear Disconnect
    Rear Sight (may require the removal of the firing pin safety - depends on the sight)
    Red Dot Sight and Mount (may require ejector and ejector port modifications)
    Beavertail Grip Safety (not quite interchangeable, but the standard one can be reshaped to allow for a higher grip)
    Magazine (7 and 8 shot Max I C/F,L/F and IX-A,B and FireStorm Gov't/Compact only)

All the above parts require gunsmithing fit and assembly along with the proper double checks for function and safety.

· Pachmayer makes a Signature grip for all Llama Max I C/F,L/F and Llama IX-A,B; FireStorm Gov't,Compact models.
    · Chip McCormick extra round magazines can be used in Large, Compact and Officers Frame single stack models
  20. stash247

stash247 New Member

Seems to qualify as a Colt clone; you are reinforcing my point,tho I truly didn't know the Star bunch had "bought In" so to speak.
    Point is exactly the same, however