Is there any kind of walpaper that helps absorb sound ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Sep 20, 2004.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

With my new linoluem flooring, the sound in the room is really weird. I don't want to have too much of this and that up on the walls to cut down sound because it'd just be one more place to have to dust. I get more dust in 1 day than most people get in 2 weeks. A pitfall of living in a quarry.

I know conventional walpaper makers don't have anything like that, but is there something else I could put up on the wall to keep that "empty room" sound from occuring ??

mike
    gn
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

A heavy cloth-type wallpaper might help....but it's a b*tch to keep clean.

What you really need is a carpet on the floor....and/or some sound absorbing ceiling panels.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I'd have to second racer.

Carpeting would probably be the least expensive and easiest way to correct for sound.
  4. Mabooger

Mabooger New Member

When I went from carpet to linoleum floors I noticed a big difference at first but it didn't last. It didn't take much time to get use to the difference. Give it a week or two & see if you still notice it before you try anything. Have you moved all the furniture back yet? That seemed to help the echo too.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

GN, just pull yer tin foil beanie down tightly over yer ears! :D :D :D :D :D :D
  6. offeror

offeror New Member

I'm sure there is some kind of sound absorbent tile you could tack up.

I once was part owner of a recording studio and we covered the walls with cork paneling applied with mastik and some nails -- BAD IDEA -- it was NOT fire retardant, quite the opposite, it was just dried wood waiting for a match -- and the place got torched by a hotplate that one of the guys left on for coffee.

So, be sure any tile you choose is treated for fire. It is fairly easy to install though because ours came in 1x2 foot sections.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  7. Icon-oclast

Icon-oclast New Member

When I was moving, I noticed the rooms echoed something fierce once the furniture and wall decorations were gone. Before you get excited, put the place back to normal and listen. One inexpensive way to improve things would be some sort of wall hangings; won't have to be much, just enough to absorb some vibrations. Even curtains and drapes around the windows will do a lot.
  8. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

A padded room!! :p :p :p :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D , just kidding.
    I honestly have no idea, but I will tell you seriously that I will sometimes use Silencio gun range ear plugs if the noise is too much.
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Well carpet is out as an option. I'm trying to get away from dust catching stuff like that. Carpet is what I ripped out for the linoleum.

No, I have'nt moved the stuff back in yet. That might change it a bit i guess. There are no windows though. Its was an "L" shaped room. Now its a 12x16 main room, and an 8x8 bedroom. The bedroom has an airpurifier built into the wall to exchange air with the main room. I'll take pics when I get a chance. I just finished the floor tonight.

I've been letting my folks use my TV while I've been working on the rooms. I think I'm in for a fight to get it back....... :rolleyes:

I wonder if a cloth wallpaper coated with scotch guard would make it easier to clean ??? That coating sure does wonders for couches and recliners !!!

mike
    gn
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Interesting you should mention that.....

My roof is tin, and the walls that the framed room sits inside are lined with silver back styrofoam pannels. Soooo, I guess I've been living in one big "beanie" for some time now.

Getting cell phone reception in my room is a B***h !!!! :(

mike
    gn
  11. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Furniture and curtains will make a big difference. If it's still too "boomy" when you get all your stuff back in place, you could try some area rugs or wall hangings. Those could be picked up and taken outside to shake out the dust.
  12. Woodman

Woodman New Member

If you shoot enough "spitballs" at the walls, the sound is sure to be deadened; the spouse might place you in a similar state, though :D
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

You would be amaaaazed at how deep the dust can get into some things. I took my matress outside one time and blew it out with the diesel air compressor. 20 minutes later it was still emmitting traces of dust. If 210 cubic feet of air per minute can't get it all out, I won't have it arround. I'm trying to eliminate any possability of dust at all. The tv and stereo will have its own closet built for it to be shut up tight when not in use. Like i was saying, and this is literal.....I get more dust in one day than some people get in 3 weeks. It gets tracked in real bad. Especially when its really dry outside. That rock dust and clay dust powder really stick to my feet. And everytime I drill or even split a rock on the splitter, there is dust created that gets on my cloths....
    A really foul environment to live in but hey, rent free is rent free. Hard to beat that !!!!! :D

mike
    gn
  14. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I don't mean to gross you out or anything, but a lot of what you were blowing out of that mattress probably wasn't dust. :eek: Your skin sheds constantly, little microscopic flakes, and guess where they go when you sleep? :eek:

I had a vacuum cleaner salesman demonstrate that to me one time. He put a piece of black cloth over the opening where the bag would normally attach and ran the vacuum over the mattress a few times. Made me want to go out and buy one of those plastic mattress covers.
  15. offeror

offeror New Member

I hope you're wearing a gas mask in there, or you'll wind up with a bad case of "miner's lungs" before you know it... :eek: :D
  16. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Fortunately, I'm happily devorced.... :D :D :D :D

mike
    gn
  17. glocknut

glocknut New Member

So basicly, its mike dander ??? :eek: :D

The question that comes to mind is.......was any of it crawling ???? :eek: :(

I've seen the pics of dust mites..... ugly little suckers.

mike
    gn
  18. glocknut

glocknut New Member

That one flew right over my head. I've never heard that term before.....??

I assume thats something that comes from coal mines thru dust exposure??

mike
    gn
  19. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

there is an acoustical tile that radio stations use in there dj booths to absorbe the excess noise and insulate the room from out side sound, but it is very poreous. imagine yarn crisscrossed back and forth across the wall, not good for your situation I would think.
    every is right when you get furn. and pics back in the room it will quiet it down and you wont even notice any more.
  20. RugerNiner

RugerNiner New Member

You need a Large one of these to hang on your wall.

[​IMG]