Is there any money in Zuchini Farmin'?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polishshooter, Jul 7, 2007.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

My GOODNESS, I FIRST picked a couple of nice ones last Sunday, my wife fried them up nicely, then I last picked a couple of nice young ones Thursday that I boiled up last night, there were only a couple of 1 or 2 inchers on the plants after those...

TODAY? I picked Three more nice ones, one about 12 inches, and I now have about 25 SHOWING between 1 inch and about 3 inches....:cool:

I figure by NEXT weekend we will be SICK of Zuchini, and the NEXT week begging neighbors to take them!

Good thing my wife likes to grate them up and freeze them to make her Zuchini Bread around the holidays....but I THINK she's going to be busy grating SOON....

Anybody got any good Zuchini recipes?

Anybody want any Zuchini?:p

BOY am I glad I only put in 12 plants and two of them died.....;)

Now if the TOMATOES would just hurry it up a little I'd be in HEAVEN....
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  2. Polish, if you haven't tried it, try frying up sliced zuchini along with chopped bacon. Great stuff!!

Second question: In a word, NO! :p I have six zuchini plants growing out back!!! :eek:
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Now Polish, Didn't you ask about planting Zukes earlier this spring? or was that Pistol?? I believe I advised someone 3-4 plants would be enough. Now, soon all your friends & neighbors will be locking their doors @ night so that the "Zucchini Fairy" can't visit! :D
  4. apache36

apache36 New Member

good thing he's talking about Zuchini, i was beginning to get concerned.
  5. polishshooter

Yeah, Bruce, I've been here before, but I didn't put a garden in at all last year, and for two years prior my Zuchini just didn't cut it, I'm lucky with 6 plants to have gotten a total of 8 or 10 of them before the plants all withered and died in the hot weather of late summer, not matter how much I watered, so we were always disappointed lately...

I usualy only planted a couple of plants and the rest seeds though....

But THIS year I fertilized the heck out of it before I tilled, then put the Zuchini plants in the TOP of the garden not the bottom where I always put them for 20 years or so, where I USUALLY put the Tomatoes, put the Tomatoes where the Corn usually went in the middle, and the corn at the bottom....with two rows of cayenne and jalapenos between the corn and the 'maters for my wife's "salsa..."....

And it was touch and go, I put it in late, right at the START of the 3or 4 week week drought, had to water every night...lost the two Zuchini plants, and the rest looked "peeked" for WEEKS, like on the edge of giving up the ghost...lost ALL the pepper plants, but I know about half of the japs WOULD have lived if the RABBITS didn't like young jalapeno pepper plants so much!:cool:

Lost about half of the 'maters too...but I always "overplant them" too just in case;) and only about HALF my corn came up!

Then we had our first good soaking rain about 3 weeks or so after I planted, and suddenly everything just took off!:eek:

I even replanted the corn that didn't come up and EVERY ONE is now coming up too! I'll have TWO crops this year if the young ones finish before the SNOW:p , (which I always wanted to do anyway but never did, so I don't get inundated also by GREAT corn that we cannot possibly eat it all all at once!) half was "Thigh High by the Fourth of July. the other half was "ankle...:p )
  6. Polish, the day you posted this thread I checked my zukes to see if any had produced squash yet. Lo and behold, I had several already about 5 inches long. Now there are blossoms all over the plants and the bees have been busy pollenating them! Is it possible to drown in zuchini? :D

The tomatos are also doing well, though I almost lost a couple of plants. Those two seem to be coming back quite well now, and there are ripening tomatos all over them. We plan to can quite a few this year if the harvest is good. My wife uses canned tomatos for a lot of the dishes she prepares. The strawberry plants have taken over the planters they're in and now want to spread out to the ground below. Today the backyard, tomorrow the world! The okra is growing well, but I've not yet seen any pods. I sure hope that stuff comes through because I love fried okra.
  7. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Fried for me is pretty much of a NO-NO.....:(

Anybody got any favorite basting recipies for grilling them.?

I tried mixing cooking sherry & Ms. Butterworths syrup.....:eek:...... not too good...:rolleyes:
  8. Here's one you might try, Al. It's for baked zuke.

BAKED STUFFED ZUCCHINI

1 lg. zucchini (or 3 small, if you like.)
    1 lb. hamburger
    1 chopped green pepper
    1 chopped onion
    Pulp of zucchini that was scooped from shell, chopped
    1 can tomato paste (not sauce, paste holds mixture together)
    Salt & pepper
    Oregano (opt.)

Slice zucchini in half length-ways. Scoop out pulp leaving a shell. Parboil shell in water 8 to 10 minutes, then drain. Brown hamburger, peppers, onion and cut up zucchini pulp. (If there's liquid, drain.) Add tomato paste. Fill shells with mixture. Place on foil covered cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees about 45 minutes. If you like, sprinkle with grated cheese when you remove it from oven.
  9. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Al,

Have you looked into olive oil or Canola oil? If I fry anything it is in those oils. Heart healthy & mono saturate oils.
  10. Havoc

Havoc New Member

OK! What's up with all the Zucchini posts?! I haven't been keeping up with everyone lately, but I'd swear I've been reading more about Zucchini in the last couple days than I have my whole life!! :eek:

Never had the urge before now to go to the store just to buy Zucchini. :confused:
  11. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

BUY zucchini???? :eek: Just let your friends and neighbors know you're interested; you'll have zucchini coming out your ears within days! :p Cucumbers too. Around here, seems like EVERYONE has cukes to give away.
  12. rsm

rsm New Member

Here is my favorite Zuchini reciepe.
    Marinate Zuchini in Jim Bean
    Throw away Zuchini
    Drink marinate
  13. Tuttle

Tuttle New Member

Here is an idea for you Mike,

Throw them up in the air and shoot at them with your tRusty model 97;)
  14. polishshooter

That might come to that Tut....

Maybe I can glue feathers on them this fall and pretend I'm in South Dakota or somewhere exotic shooting Pheasant....;) :p

Actually my wife does something with them on the grill I'll have to ask her what, but they are pretty good...

My Mom's recipe for the Brown Sugar Zuchini is pretty simple, just boil them up until really soft, ( She always warns me to be careful not to use TOO much water, they kind of "add their own" to the pot, so it can boil over quickly, but you have to add just enough, too much also makes it kind of soupy, but it's STILL good if you mess up...:p ) drain, add a dollup of butter and mix in a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar...I could eat the whole pot, and HAVE:p :D :D :D
  15. clmanges

clmanges New Member

To my mind, the only reason to eat zucchini would be as revenge against them for their evil ways.

If you want to make money off of them, set up a little range in your back yard and charge people to shoot them. They will pay, and grin really big. With four or five plants, you won't run out of targets, either.
  16. polishshooter

I asked my wife about the grill thing she does with them, she says she just slices up the zuchini on a piece of aluminum foil with the edges kinda rolled up, with some yelllow squash slices and then slices up a red onion, stirs it together, drizzles it generously with olive oil, then sprinkles Italian Seasoning on it and lets it grill on low while shes cooking something else on the other side of the grill...

It's pretty good!:D
  17. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

If you use olive oil, make sure you use the "Extra Light" olive oil. Higher smoke-point and still has all the health-benefits of regular olive oil. Save the darker olive oil for non-fried situations.
  18. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

No Dr Pepper? :D
  19. WarSteed

WarSteed New Member

Ooohhhhh my mom likes to make some Korean pon-chan (those little side dishes Koreans and Japanese like to eat with rice) with them. She slices them into thin round slices and seasons cooks them.

Man.... i'm a total carnivore but i could eat just that and rice ALL DAY it's so good.
  20. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Zuchini bread was awsome....

mike
    gn