Is there such a thing as a double barreled pump-action shotgun?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Wolery, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Wolery

Wolery New Member

Howdy again muchachos!

I have a question about shotguns...obviously. See I'm still writing that WWII AH story, and I read that the Germans historically had no shotguns in their military arsenal. And since my protagonist advances through the ranks by weapon design, I thought, what a great opportunity to ratchet it up a notch. So I was thinking his team designs a shotgun for dual military/police work.

This theoretical gun is a 12 gauge, 16 round, magazine fed, double barreled shotgun wherein the pump rotates from right to left, loading one barel then the other. There's two triggers for dual discharge, at which time, two pumps are needed to fully reload the gun.

My question is could a gun like this be built, especially with high to medium quality workmanship and materials available to Germany in the WWII period? And while I'm at it, is there a gun like this in real life, and if so, how well does it function?

Thanks a bunch! :)
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

A weapon like that could be built but it would have to use 1 pump action that loaded both barrels at once in tandem with each pump stroke.

This weapon would not be practical. Go tape to Remington 870's together and try to use it....it would suck.

A shotgun would have zero impact on the end state of WW2.

How about giving the Nazis a relolutionary weapon in 1943 like night vision or twilight amplification devices.
  3. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Delta, try reading The Master Sniper by Stephen Hunter. He delves into this "what if" though it's in 1945, right at the end of the war. Great read.
  4. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Cool...I looked at that on Amazon...it is interesting so I saved the page to buy later....right now I'm reading the Dean Koontz Frankenstein series.
  5. 350Rocket

350Rocket New Member

never heard of one, but i do know they make a double barrel bolt action!

gunmaker: "Szecsei & Fuchs" rifles, calibers from .300mag all the way to .500 Jeffery

oh, custom made and verrrrry expensive.
  6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have seen a double barrel revolver, the Le Mat. One for ball and one for shot!
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

8. robertchambers

robertchambers New Member

I'm pretty shure it was a Liege maker named Leve who made a double with twin tube type magazines under each barrel but it's not pump operated...it has a top key like a Charlin or maybe a Darne...it shouldn't be to hard to scare up a web photo or patent drawing using the name "Leve" ...I think the Liege Arms Museum has an engraved one in thier collection..
  9. big steve

big steve New Member

WOW THATS AWESOME
  10. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

A buddy and I made one of these some years ago. He bought a lot of guns that included a Remington 870 12 gauge left hand, we took it and a right hand gun, made some replacement pins long enough to go through both guns, a link to hold the magazine tubes together, took off one of the stocks, the hard part was the forend. I machined up two forends out of schedule 80 PVC pipe and fiberglassed them to a third piece of pipe and.......viola! A double barrel pump shotgun. Ain't very practical.
  11. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

12. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I've recently read mention of a pump shotgun with two separate magazines. No idea where it's made but apparently the idea is for law enforcement; one magazine loaded with buckshot and the other loaded with bean bags or some other non-lethal rounds.
  13. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Thinking back on our little, well really big shotgun project, a few observations. It looked mean, real mean and would not have been a bad police weapon. It was heavy but cops don't carry their shotguns around all day. And it would intimidate the heck out of anyone that got it pointed at them. I didn't synchronize the safeties which would have been easy to do. Neither the left side stock or the right side stock felt exactly right, it needed a center mounted stock, a rather straightforward thing. A folding stock would have been good. The barrels did not shoot to the same point of impact and would have needed regulation. The left trigger was hard to get to and a needed a solution. The forend would have better been a pistol grip. We didn't finish it as we had more important things to do, careers to build, families to make.:D
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

15. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

There is a new item on the market called "d-rail/t-rail" can`r remember the name. It mounts to any tube magazine shotgun that can accept a tube extension. It rotates by your selection, you can keep your factory tube in reserve, it more than doubles a 8 round extension.

VERY wild on a Benelli auto, 12 rounds plus your factory tube in reserve.

Looks like a three barreled gattling gun mounted to the end of the tube. and don`t forget the PUMP 30 shot AK47 years back for those commie states.......
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009