is this a BOWIE knife?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by reinhard, Jun 30, 2010.

1. reinhard

reinhard Member

Jun 25, 2010
    hi , i realy dont know anything about knives ,so here are some questions
    first of all is this a Bowie knife? when was it made? what is it made off ? except
    steel of course and is this a knife of any value?
    knife reads on blade GEO W.SHREVE-SAN FRANCISCO other side says ENGLAND
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    It's a bowie-style hunter, not a bowie knife. Popular from the 1870s to WW1. The handle is stag (deer horn.) The blade has been badly refinished.

3. reinhard

reinhard Member

Jun 25, 2010
    do you mean that the blade is polished or chromed ?
    anny value to this knife?
    thanks
    Reinhard

4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Active Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Looks like wire brush or a stone.

5. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Cleaning that blade took away a lot of value, it there ever was any.

6. Bill DeShivs

Apr 7, 2006
    Bad polish. The original finish would have probably been crocus finish (bright polish.) regardless, the crisp lines have been slurred.

7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    No one knows for sure what the original Bowie knife (the one actually made for and used by Jim Bowie) but it was reported to be long and heavy, a lot wider and heavier than most men would want. Later, almost any clip point knife came to be called a "Bowie" and I guess that one has as much claim to the name as any of the millions of others. I believe Shreve was in business around 1900 but the name is so common that searching is difficult.

Jim

8. wpage

wpage Active Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I like it and it may have some collector value. The handle appears to be buck horn and is well done.

9. Bowie knife? In my opinion yes. as far as value goes its value lies in the fact that it is a nice heavy duty utility knife for campground and all around use. Use it in good health and enjoy the fact that it's useful. A knife without nicks and scratches hasn't been used and that to me is a terrible waste.

Of course I was out yesterday shooting great grandpa's old Stevens single shot 25-20 made sometime in the 1890-1900 era, so my reverence for antiques lies in whether or not they are still usable. I am a heathen so you might not want to go by my opinion.

10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    SW Fort Worth
    I like the overall look of the knife, it would be a great one to have in the field or at the cowboy shoots. You may be able to polish some of the scratches out and get the blade finish looking a little better; but I wouldn't worry about it. I'd use it and enjoy it, it will be a very useful functional knife for many years to come. And yes, I would say that it fits into the Bowie style knife category.

11. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Nice scabbard and the first photograph is very nice too.

12. Bill DeShivs

Apr 7, 2006
    Because a knife fits the criteria of what is commonly called a "Bowie knife" does not mean that it actually is one. This one is a bowie-style hunting knife. It is period-correct for the Colt. It has been refinished by an amateur.
    The general consensus among cutlery experts is that the original Bowie knife was basically a large butcher knife. If you do some diligent research, the original knife has been tentatively identified. Search for "Edwin Forrest bowie knife."

13. reinhard

reinhard Member

Jun 25, 2010
    thanks for the replies on the knife, the knife was a present ,and will make a nice whole ,on display with a colt
    thanks
    Reinhard

14. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    N FLA
    That is a fine present. I would be proud to own it.

15. reinhard

reinhard Member

Jun 25, 2010
    thanks, i am proud to be the owner of it this knife , thanks for the compliment on the picture,ill share another one
    reinhard

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010