Is this a generational thing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckill1, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Interesting day today...
    Got a phone call from my dad today, asking for a favor. Not at all unusual anymore, as he is 62 and recovering from a 15-month battle with colon cancer(successful so far, thank God). But today he wanted help with his change bags. My father never spends change. Never. Comes home every evening and looks it over, keeping back any state quarters he hasn't stumbled on yet, any wheat pennies or buffalo head nickles or whatnot. Then he divvys up some to the piggy banks he keeps for each of my three girls and throws the rest into old canvas bank sacks in the closet.
    Anyway, today he says his bank sacks are full and could I help him get them to the bank, please? Of course I am willing, being off work and owing everything I am to this man, so out to Pops house I go. Only when I get there, back to his bedroom closet, do I realize the extent of his coin-hoarding habit. On his closet floor are nine canvas sacks brimming with change. I don't know how familiar you all are with these sacks, but brim-full, I bet they weigh 50 pounds or there about. Dutifully, I carried all nine down to my Suburban and off to the bank we go. Now, we live in a small town in SW Iowa with a community bank where everyone knows everyone else, so I asked him, "Dad, did you call Betty and ask if you could bring this in at 3:30 on Monday afternoon?" "Course I did. She said come on in."
    Anyway, long story short, after borrowing a handtruck from the bewildered ladies at Mills County Bank, (I don't think Pops mentioned the amount of change he had, judging by the look on their faces) wheeling them in and dumping them one by one into the big commercial machine, Dad got a cash out slip in the amount of $7,781.13!! The $0.13, naturally, went into the nearest canvas bag to start another collection...
    Now, I collect my change. Clean out my work bag every once in awhile, my spare change dish, and my console, and it all goes into a pitcher that holds a couple hundred bucks at most, and I feel guilty taking all that in at once. Dad must have been saving change for a decade! He said he only thought of taking it in because he worried about the floor in his closet caving into the laundry room!
    Is this a generational thing? :D How many of you guys collect change like this?

Chris.
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

A year or two ago I decided to make it a habit to never spend change. Occasionally I'll make an exception if the total is $18.02 for example, but otherwise, I only spend paper. I pull out state quarters I need for my collection, and the rest of the change goes into a gallon jar.

I don't think I'll get to $7,000 though! :eek:
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I never carry change "out" of the house. If I bring some home, it goes on the table, to be sorted by the wife. She gets the quarters, and the rest goes into the bottle.

Back in the early 80s, We were moving to our present home. Rather than move them up here, we cashed in our "pennies" to start a savings account for the 2 kids. Each started with a little over $600. Watching us carry that into the bank was comical.

I have not spent a penny, and very little other change, since then. We use those 5 gallon water bottles to store the change in. Just noticed a while back, that we are going to have to start another one.

Like your dad, I will probably be calling my son for help, when the day comes to move those bottles.

Maybe it is generational.
    Back in the day, the saying was....
    A penny saved, is a..........;)
  4. Penny spent on guns? :D;):p
  5. KING64

KING64 New Member

I also avoid spending my change and it goes home and into various cans and jars. It has never amounted to $7,000 though. Maybe a few hundred bucks and then off I go my credit union, convert it to paper and off to Cabelas, Sportco or The Marksman. I know I am still spending money but it never seems like it is coming out of living expenses or feel the same as if I write a check for the same amount.
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

The best I ever got was when we moved here to the country I cashed in my change collection and got a little over $900.00 dollars but that was many years of tossing the change into water bottles and a big old copper pot.
    Carla got the money for STUFF to go in the house :rolleyes: and it is hanging on every dang wall around here too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

i dunno if its generational or not.... i've been collecting change all my life, even when it wasnt mine to collect!:p (thank you daddy!;):D)

i need to go to the bank w/ all of the rolls i have wrapped right now, but just never find the time to do it.

btw ~ welcome to the board chris!:)
  8. Jay

Jay New Member

9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hey Ginga...ya think maybe we're related? :)

I do exactly the same thing! :D
  10. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

ckill1,
    It's nice to have another Iowan on board!;):D:D Debi and I have been collecting chang since we were married, in a couple of glass jars. It goes into my daughters savings account when we have not any more room....And it is ammazing how effective it is as a small savings plan! Paul Harvy did a story some years ago of how a family provided a colledge education for a child off just this method of saving.;) If anyone here works at at bank, it would be interesting if they have a story about this to tell!!:p Best reguards Kirk
  11. Tuttle

Tuttle New Member

I also save my change. When I started the kids thought it would take forever to fill a water bottle and I was crazy. I took a $50 bill to the bank and got quarters. I seeded the first jar with $50 in quarters and the kids then took an interest.

It did not take long to fill it and the kids got a sweet Honda dirtbike with the money. At all times the kids knew how much was in the bottle! Got another water bottle going now.
  12. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

last time took rolls in, bank said not to roll them. they unrolled and fed into machine. I had miscounted, had more money than I thought.:)
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I dump mine each evening as well...I never dig for change in my pocket at the store so it does tend to add up.

The most I've ever saved up was a couple hundred at a time though because I look at it as "free money" and will go buy briskets, ribs, chickens etc, for the smoker, then send trays of food to friends/family and to the pastor at my wifes church (very cool guy who deserves it and more).

Occasionally if I have things crop up like car repair bills that I dont want to pay, I'll cash in the change to pay for it, but just mostly use it for fun stuff.

I still have a couple racks of spares, a brisket and a turkey in the freezer left over from the last "cash out". :D

Geeze...Someone bring over some oak and a freaking match! I'm realizing that it's been too long since I fired her up! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Crpdeth
  14. But Donny, a box of .25-06 or .257 shells shouldn't cost your whole stash! :D;):p
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I see what you're saying, but sometimes it's mo' fun to just buy the meat and leave my daily food in the freezer for tomorrow. :D

Crpdeth