Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by FloraBama, Oct 7, 2009.

1. FloraBama

FloraBama New Member

I've been reading the forum for a while and have really appreciated the depth of knowledge and experience in reloading here. I've thought of reloading for a while and a couple of years ago I retired and now feel I've got the time to pursue reloading. Before, I didn't shoot enough to warrant reloading, but with the current climate in Washington, it now seems like a required skill.

Anyway, I just saw this ad in my local area.

Lee Load-Master progressive press http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/ldmas.html (setup for .38special, never used)
    Lee carbide dies for .38special (handles .357magnum also), .40S&W (2 sets, can be used for 10mm also), and 9mm
    Lee shellplate #1S for .38special/.357magnum
    Lee small case slider to feed .40S&W cases
    Lee primer pocket cleaner
    Lee modern reloading 2nd edition book

1000 Winchester Small Pistol Primers
    700 Remington Small Pistol Primers
    1lb of Ramshot Silhouette powder

I can get it all for about $400. Is that a pretty good set up for a beginner? He says it's all pretty new. He decided he didn't have the time and needed the money.

I'm always a little leary by nature, but at the same time, I don't want to miss a good deal if this is one. I would appreciate any input, and thanks for all the great posts on reloading.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF ! I hear ya on the "climate" in WA, lived up there for a good many of years, way to cold and way to anti-gun for me.

I posted my "would pay amount" next to each line item, as if I were going to buy the entire lot. Some items are included in the price of the press.

I would say $310-340 would be the ballpark I would be playing in, even if it is "never used". If it includes a scale and the other tools required to reload, then I would say that $400 would be a great price.
  3. FloraBama

FloraBama New Member

Thanks a million. That makes it much easier to make a deal. I really appreciate your help. Gracias!
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If those are 4-die sets, I'd go 25 bucks per set. He's got 2 sets of 40, but so what? You don't need 2 sets of 40, so it doesn't add anything to the deal. 3 at 25.

I wouldn't consider the primer-pocket cleaner as part of the press, but first, it's only around 5 bucks new, and second, I used to have one. They don't work all that well. I found that I could do a better, easier job with a 1/8" flat-tip screwdriver. If he wanted to throw it in, okay, I'd take it. But I wouldn't pay for it.

Press, brand new, is 230 bucks. So I wouldn't give more than 200 for it, even if it was still in the box it came in. And, yes, the little extras he bought for the press would have to come with the press.

Primers seem to be going for about 35 bucks a thousand :)eek: that's outrageous). That's 59 dollars worth of primers. The powder is 18 dollars, and I would only buy that if it was still a factory sealed can. If it's been opened, then there ain't no tellin' what's really in there. So, yeah, 70 bucks if it's unopened powder.

So, 200 + 70 + 75 (if 4-die sets, 60 if only 3-die) and maybe 10 or 15 for the book. 350 sounds close. He may insist that he had to pay umpty-dollars in shipping charges and hazmat fees. So what? Not your problem.