Is this a marauder?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by silicosys4, Jun 21, 2011.

1. silicosys4

silicosys4 Former Guest

I picked up a marlin 336, and it looks to be a marauder, but with a different front sight than I've seen on pictures of marauders I've seen. The stock was carved by whoever owned the gun before me, and it was an awesome price, probably not very collectible anymore, but it appeals to me. Can anybody tell me if this gun is indeed a marlin 336 marauder, or just a well done shortened barrel? Thanks for any info.

Attached Files:

2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Good mornning. silicosys4. What is the length of the barrel?Is it crowned(rounded on the end)But to tell you the truth no matter what it is it"s cond. and because of the "carving" it"s value is on the low side..............GOOFY:)
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Looks like some one should have gotten some checkering tools for christmas, and didn't....

If it is a murader, replacing the wood might be a good choice. If I remember correctly the stock is numbered to the reciever though, as Marlin did this to keep them together untill final assembly and finishing.

Regards, Kirk
  4. silicosys4

silicosys4 Former Guest

The barrel is the 16.25" or so that the marauder is listed as having. The barrel is crowned. The wood is pretty much done for, and the bluing is rubbed off of the barrel pretty bad, but no rust. This was a fishermans gun, i believe, used to keep seals away from the net, so considering it probably spent its life in a boat on saltwater, i'm actually impressed with the condition. All i have into it is $150 or so, I'm pretty safe there.

Attached Files:

5. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

the carving was possibly done to increase the "grip" with gloves, the front site possibly changed to "protect" the front sight incase dropped or other "rough" handling. the sight is a modofication i have seen on many rifles used in "fishing" boats by commerical fishermen of the old school
  6. silicosys4

silicosys4 Former Guest

Well, so far thanks guys, Looks like i can throw it onto the project pile, If its got a replacement front sight, being as the wood is so chewed up, I'm not worried about losing any value from a good rebluing and restocking. I'm pretty sure its a genuine marlin 336 marauder though, once its cleaned up it will be a lot of fun.
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I like the carving, If it was mine I would clean up the carving, oil it down and lie about it.