is this a mauser???

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by GunNut89, Feb 22, 2012.

1. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

hey guys. i need some info on this gun. i dont know what it is. i'll start by telling the story on it. my buddy's grandpa died a few years back. after he died my buddy was looking through his grandpas barn and up in the rafters he found two old guns wrapped in a black trash bag and packed in grease. he thinks its a mauser but i have no clue. it doesnt appear to be 100% complete but its very cool looking imo. the other gun was a 8mm mauser and is complete and doesnt resemble this one very much. anyways. i brought the gun home and took pics for you guys to work your magic. taking pics of the barrel markings and proof marks is hard. the pics wont get a clear view. i'll get up some pics and let me know what you guys think. he really wants to fix this thing up because of the sentimental value. if any other pics are needed just let me know! i'll get them up asap! thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

3. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

ok thanks JLA. i do believe he has some other items not pictured including the trigger guard and magazine. would some other pictures help with identifying it better?
  4. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

Something looks wrong with the stock...like its new but made to look old. probably just me.:D
  5. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

GEW 88 Commission Rifle
  6. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

why does it have such a heavy barrel? and it has the flip up front sight was this an old military issued rifle?

Attached Files:

7. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

I think what makes it look like a heavy barrel is actually a barrel sleeve.
  8. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

9. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

you just made my day Trap! thanks. so the gun is a Gew 88 commision rifle?
  10. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

and what is it chambered in?
  11. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Short answer is 8mm Mauser, 8x57.
    When made, it used a .318 round nose bullet in a .321 Groove barrel, called the "J" bore.
    In 1905 Germany went to a .323 spitzer bullet or "JS" bore in the Gew98 rifle.
    The Gew88's were then reworked to use the 8mmJS, by opening up the throat of the bore. Most of the Gew88's got this conversion. Some will have the rear of the receiver ring U notched when converted, the Turks usually did that.
    If it was converted, your barrel and/or receiver will be stamped with a "S".
    The "S" conversion was made for the original 154grn "S" bullet, or light ball. The 196grn heavy ball used later in WWII has a longer bullet, and will cause a much higher pressure spike, don't use it!
    US made ammo is lower pressure than Euro made ammo, and anything of 154grn or less will be fine. Romanian 8mm light ball is the only milsurp ammo I would use in an 88.

Edit: Having my coffee trying to wake up to go to work, just noticed in the pics that yours has been converted to the S bore.
    BTW, ......JLA had it partly right, this rifle was not a true Mauser. Mannlicher design, and Kaiser Wilhelm "commissioned" Mauser to build it.
    Let's see the other rifle, get some pics up!
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  12. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

This is my Turk reworked GEW88. They eliminated the barrel shroud...

[​IMG]

...And the clip that was inserted into the magazine, by welding stripper clip guides on the rear receiver bridge.

[​IMG]
  13. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

boy thanks alot trap! i have a question for you about the last picture you posted of your gun. the close-up pic. towards the front of the gun, above the magazine. is that a bolt? it looks like a washer with two holes in it. the gun my buddy has is missing that. and he thinks its needed before the gun can be used. what is it Trap?
  14. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Don't you mean old made to look crappy. :D
  15. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

That's the recoil lug cross bolt. It has a flat on the front side that mates with the flat on the receiver recoil lug. The two little holes you see are for a pin type spanner wrench, one to hold the head, and one to tighten the nut. The two of you can do it with two pairs of snap ring pliers. It doesn't have to be "tight", just snugged up good.
    Your buddy is right, it needs to be in there or your stock will split at the tang the first time you shoot it.
    The round disc with a hole in the center on the buttstock, is the firing pin disassembly disc. The tip of the FP goes in there, pull down on the shroud to compress the spring, give the cocking piece a half turn, and carefully let the FP spring lift all the parts off the FP. Reverse that to put it back together.
    Yours has been removed for the stock refinish.
    The stock has been stripped of finish and looks ready for a re-finish.
    Run a bore brush through it, and see what shape the bore is in. If it's good, get the parts and put that old warhorse back together!
    I'll bet if you two look some more, his grampa has a coffee can, or cigar box somewhere with the rest of the parts.
    And I ain't helpin ya no more till ya post pics of the other rifle!!!:)
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  16. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Quick question - why does Romania have milsurp 8mm Mauser ammunition? Is it World War 2 surplus? TIA!
  17. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

dont do that to me Trap! he lives 30 miles from me and i dont have any pics of the other one! he has alot of parts for it including the magazine/trigger guard assembly. he needs some screws and the band for the end of the barrel that holds it to the stock. is that recoil lug still available? please tell me it is because he is missing it. thanks!:D
  18. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

19. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

ok i really appreciate the help. i'm filling him in on everything you are telling me. that parts breakdown you posted looked pretty helpful. thanks again. and i'm workin on gettin you that pic of the other gun. maybe i'll drive over there and snap a few pics tomorrow
  20. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

this is the only pic i have on my computer of the other rifle. im sure you can spot it in the line-up :cool:

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      219 KB
      Views: