1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Is This a Remington Revolver ?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by OldFotoMan, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Jim K

Jim K New Member

True, some folks do say, correctly, that something is wrong, sometimes without knowing themselves excactly what it is. The thing is that some of us have seen and handled dozens, maybe hundreds, of genuine percussion revolvers of that era, and may even own one or more. We often need little more than a glance to be able to say, "Something's wrong", even though it may take a while to point out the specific problems. The "something" may be anything from a cold blue job to a complete fake, like the Musser Patersons of a bygone era that are now themselves highly collectible - and a lot rarer than genuine Patersons.

Neither bragging or complaining, but I have no idea how many Colt and Remington percussion revolvers I have handled, and in some cases, repaired, but it certainly has been in the hundreds. And that doesn't count Starrs, Whitneys, Coopers, Bacons, etc.

Can I be fooled by a good copy or a good restoration? I am sure that I can, but it would have to be good enough to fool real experts. There is just something about the old guns that is hard to fake. And all the factory repros have little changes, sometimes subtle, deliberately made so that it is hard to turn them into fakes.

Good luck with your gun, and I hope you have better news the next time.

Jim
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Sorry I haven't been back here before now. A couple of things. The font for the numbers is wrong for an 1860's revolver. There should be at least remnants of the barrel address and inspectors marks on all the major parts. Like I said before the serial number is much too low for that particular frame. The frame is obviously cast. There is no way that is an original. I'm betting if you have the thread pitch checked the threads will be metric. Oh and BTW one post mentioned brass frames. There never was a brass framed 58 Remington or a brass copy of one until modern times.
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  3. Diamondback

Diamondback Well-Known Member

Folks, I am no expert on the 1858 Remington, but, in 1986 or '87, my wife purchased a collectible reproduction of the Remington 1858 New Army revolver in .44 caliber.

Looking at this beautiful reproduction I can see quite a few differences.

A) The loading lever is the wrong shape and length.

B) The hammer has a different configuration.

C) The grip frame has a different shape.

D) The trigger guard is larger and round rather than flat.

E) The front sight is too small and the wrong shape.

The revolver in the OP is an older BP weapon. It appears to be one that has been rebuilt sometime in the past from several different revolvers by a compentent gunsmith or a talented tinkerer. Just from what I can se, I would say that this is not an orginal Remington Model 1858 revolver. As far as its value is concerned, it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.