Is this a scam or what?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polishshooter, Jan 13, 2006.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I was checking my email and was going to erase my "bulk" mail like I usually do, but decided to check it because I was expecting an email I hadn't got yet, and thought maybe it had gone there, and found an email through Ebay from somebody referencing an auction 4783296107 saying he sent the money did I get it and is thsis a scam does he have to go to the authoirities (spelled wrong.) I HAD an Ebay account years ago, but the last thing I listed and sold was something little like 4 or 5 years ago. If it was even EBay, the more I think about it, it may have been through Yahoo auctions.

Anyway, I checked Ebay, and searched for that auction, and it's for some comic book store listed for $51,000, in October '05,and was NOT sold.

What gives? Has this happened to anybody else? Why is it in "bulk" mail? Etc. ETC, ETC.

No I DID not respond, I figure it's some scam but I can't figure the angle. I didn't erase the original email either, just in case...
  2. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

dont open it, they may be just waiting for you to do that to get access for your computer, and then dig around to find c.c. numbers.
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Forward it to spoof@ebay.com

It's scam and didn't come from ebay thats why it went to your bulk mail
  4. polishshooter

I did, WRF, is that the ebay scam police?

BTW, I decided to check my other bulk messages, I usually just "Delete All" and found two others, both similar, from some women "Corlissa" and sombody else I can't remember, but BOTH said something like "Your car is in stock, please click here to confirm..."

Is this what they call 'Phishing?" I haven't been on the 'net much the past couple of years, just got back on a lot since I got High Speed Cable a month or two ago, what MORE fun have I missed????

And I assume "don't open it" means not to click on any links in the email, right? They aren't already sliming around inside this thing are they, just from me READING it??? I NEVER quite trusted this "you never have to turn it off" high speed for some reason....
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  5. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

It's a scam. There's a couple of different angles. One, like rangerruck mentioned, is that they want to drop a keystroke-capturing program on your machine to catch logons, banking, and credit card information.

Another angle could be that they try to get your banking information from you through correspondence to verify whether the payment they supposedly sent you actually went through.

I haven't received this one, but I received one not too long ago purporting to be from PayPal confirming a payment for an auction item I didn't buy. It included a link to use if I wanted to dispute the transaction. When I inspected the html source of the message, I saw that the "dispute" link did not lead to paypal, but to another site. My guess would be that, had I followed the link, I would have been presented with a PayPal look-alike site that would have me log on to my account so I could dispute the transaction. By "logging on", I would provide them with information that they could then use to log in to my paypal account and send money to themselves.
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

That be the scam police.
    You will get a auto mail from ebay thanking you for fowarding it.
    I got 3 paypal spoofs today. they go to spoof@paypay.com
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  7. polishshooter

I'll be diked, I got the "auto" reply from the ebaypolice already! Of course, it has links "to go and learn more about spoofs!" NOW i'm leary of ANY of these links within a link! Maybe it's the NSA spying on me without a warrant because I once posted something on a .43 Egyptian? DAMM that George Bush!!!!! :p
  8. SouthernMoss

Rule of thumb is to NEVER click on a link in an email unless you are 100% certain that the email is legit. Either copy the link and paste it into the address line of your browser, or manually type it yourself into the address line.
  9. polishshooter

Thanks, SM, I've got a lot to "relearn,,," maybe I shouldn't have stayed away so long?
  10. flopshot

flopshot New Member

fbi/cia, ebay, paypal, "your order", isp security center, microsoft alert, all bogus
  11. SouthernMoss

Yep! ;) Glad you're back now, though. :)
  12. Naaaa, Polish, it's more likely a former member of the Geheimestatspolezei getting back at you for claiming the M-4 was a better battle tank than the Tiger. ;)

Seriously, it's certain to be a scam. Don't bite!!!! That stuff floats around the Internet all the time.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The have had two scams directed to me. One was that there was a problem with my PayPal account (funny, I don't have one). When I went to sell a couple of motorcycles some obvious illiterate foreigner (extremely bad grammar and spelling) offered to buy each bike instantly, without questions. He wanted to send me a check instantly. When I told him to give me a call first ---no call. One I insulted when I accused him of the scam--- no response. One friend even got an unsolicited cashiers check from one of these scammers, which he promtly destroyed.

I guess you can't fault these third worlders for not trying. They are so stupid, though, that they underestimate our intelligence.

NEVER OPEN ATTACHMENTS FROM THOSE YOU DO NOT PERSONALLY KNOW AND DON'T CLICK ON LINKS FROm THOSE THAT YOU DON'T KNOW. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH! EVERYTHING HAS A PRICE, ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.
  14. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

eBay accounts are a favorite target for Phishing. I've gotten dozens of Emails, complete with the eBay logo asking for account information...."Update Your Account", "Your Account Has Been Suspended", "Verify Your Account", etc., and all of them have a "click to reply".

These are all scams to get your computer address. Once you click, they've got you!

Best thing to do is to delete these messages immediately without opening them.

When in doubt....DELETE!!!!
  15. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Years ago, when I was “active” with e-Bay, I received one of these types of emails, to verify my phone number, or they would close my account. Being somewhat naive then, I fell for it, since it didn’t ask for any passwords or any information that wasn’t in the phone book.

The upshot is that I got a “bill” from SNAP LABORATORIES L.L.C.
    SNAP is a company that you can find listed online in the phone book. It is an “official” looking bill alright. Options to pay by all the major credit cards etc. Company phone #, address, account # etc.

The bill was for a “Sleep Study” costing $790.00. Says the insurance company paid $711.00 of it, with the difference ($79.00) being due now.

Of course we have never taken any kind of “Sleep Study” but the point that proves this is bogus, is the we didn’t have ANY insurance. And they have already paid $711.00???

I decided to try to DO something about this company. I started with the local media, TV, radio, newspapers. Then I called the local police, the BBB, the DA‘s office, etc. The BBB said I have to file a complaint in the state the company operates out of (Illinois) so I did. Don’t know if anything happened with them, as I did not get a follow-up call, as promised.

The main point here is that NO ONE CARED. Neither the media, or any law enforcement agency would do anything. The media basically said it wasn’t a big enough “story of interest” and law enforcement said that since I had not sent any money to them, there has been NO crime committed.

I still get a bill every once in a while. It is WAY "past due" the 120 day mark, being about 3 years old.

I had to relate this story here, to show that it is NOT always foreigners that are doing the “phishing” and that even when you can PROVE what is going on, NO ONE CARES. I am sure there are people out there that would pay this without thinking about it. Sad……. :mad: :mad: :mad: