is this ammo safe to fire?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by FUJINAMI, Jan 27, 2010.

1. FUJINAMI

FUJINAMI New Member

i found this picture on the internet is it safe to fire this shell?

Attached Files:

2. RandyP

RandyP Member

I can't verify from that picture that it is even ammunition -lol
  3. FUJINAMI

FUJINAMI New Member

there's a cut in it not sure if its all the way through read it was a 12 gauge shell
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Looks like someone attempted to "ring" the shell, although why they'd do it that far out is puzzling. However, no, I wouldn't fire it. Shells are cheap, especially compared to the cost of guns and hands. Anything that looks funky (and that definitely qualifies as funky), I would break down for the components and toss the hull.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I had some shotgun shells stored in an out building (bird shot), and the rats got into it. They ate some of the plastic off the ends of the shells, exposing the pellets. I shot it anyway, and it did fine in my single shot 12ga. Ringing the hull is something that is done to cause the shot to stay in a tight wad untill it strikes the target. It acts more like a slug than a load of bird shot. Lets say all you have is some bird shot, and you want to kill a deer, ring the hull, then get in close. Bang, one hole in the deer.
  6. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Any time you have doubts about the ammunition (regardless of what it is), don't fire it. Better safe than sorry. Just my opinion, not saying that I've always stuck to that advice. Lol.
  7. RandyP

RandyP Member

On a serious note but all just IMHO, the cut is in a very low pressure location on a plastic hull. The shell 'should' fire just fine and send the load out the barrel. The worst I'd expect was a slightly altered pattern downrange? But probably not something you'd notice. It's not like it's going to kaboom a barrel or anything like a double loaded brass case rifle round.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010