IS THIS BROOMHANDLE C&R ELIGIBLE?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by FloridaFialaFan, Nov 14, 2005.

1. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

A couple of years ago I bought one of those HUGE .45acp Shansei C-96 broomhandles. What I got was a beautifully machined and finished, well-marked C-96 that should have come equipped with wheels!!! It has a 3-digit serial number all matching and is in like-new condition. Would be sacrilege to shoot this pretty monster - and would probably break every bone in your hand. (China's Shansei Arsenal became famous for its Thompson clones during WWII.) Lots of C-96s are listed in the C&R guide, but NOTTHIS PARTICULAR ONE. Does anyone know if there has been an update to include this piece? There is an interesting write-up on these in the Krause 2003 Standard Catalog of Firearms, but no help there either. I plan to put it up for sale in an online auction and need to know licensee requirement to ship to. Thanks for any help. FFF
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

If it's not listed on the ATF's C&R list or the updates (see this page), then the only way it could be C&R is if it's older than 50 years.
  3. FloridaFialaFan

Thereby lies the rub... NOBODY will even hint at when these guns were produced. There are various stories, none documented - that I can find. Even Krause dances around the production date. Are they recent or from the WWII heydays of Shansei Arsenal? Mention is made of sloppy machineing, etc. NOT THIS GUN. this thing is beautifully done. The company selling these a few years ago never gave a production date, only that a VERY limited number were available. I guess I'll just have to ship to an FFL holder only - to be on the safe side. Picture below is the .45 Shansei lying next to a standard aresenal reworked 7.65mm - which is really a BIG gun. Compare the barrels!!! This thing weighs about 3 pounds less than a small cow!!! FFF

[​IMG]
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I assume it has an importer's stamp. Is that correct? If it doesn't, then we can figure it is probably at least 37 years old, since these stamps were required starting in 1968.
  5. FloridaFialaFan

Re: IMPORTER'S STAMP???

Thanks for that info wonderwhippet. No, there's no marking I can find except the various serial number stamps, and the Chinese characters on the flats, each side of the frame. Even from the photo above you can see that the big brute is as good or better in machining and finish as its smaller forerunner. The older broomhandles were VERY nicely fashioned and fitted by well-trained craftsmen of the old schoool. This piece is immaculate and in my personal estimation rivals the old ones. FFF

[​IMG]

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." ---unknown
  6. Steve Lee Parsons

Steve Lee Parsons New Member

I purchased a Shansei .45 acp Broomhandle about 5 years ago. All matching numbers, probably about 1930 vintage. A great shooter, very well made, and a real "attention getter" at the range or wherever I take it. The gun was imported by Navy Arms back in the 1980's, and they have certified that they are real Chinese antiques, not repro's. The repro rumor that has been circulated is, in my opinion, ridiculous. The cost of anyone trying to replicate the Shansei .45acp's would be prohibitive. The internal parts are definitely original Chinese manufacture, and very well finished. I purchased it as a C&R item from IAR, Inc. My gun received severe smoke damage in a house fire some months ago, and I decided to have it restored. I've never proscribed to the notion that you cannot refinish a firearm. If you can restore an antique house, car, boat, motorcycle, painting, etc. Why not a gun ?
    Anyway, my Gunsmith (a real old school craftsman) just delivered the new/old Shansei Broomhandle, and it looks great. He polished the exterior (leaving the Chinese markings, of course), and did an excellent hot blue finish.
    The gun is now a showpiece, almost too pretty to shoot. Many of the internal parts, ejector, hammer spring, sears, etc. are 9mm or 7.63 parts Mauser interchangeable.
    I 'm counting on this old piece to be a good investment, in the future.
    In the meantime, I'll continue to have some fun with it.
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Since you're shooting it, how about a report on its reliability, accuracy, etc?
  8. Steve Lee Parsons

Steve Lee Parsons New Member

Shooting offhand is fairly accurate at 25 yards. The extra metal helps absorb recoil. Works best with the wood stock/holster. Original Shansei .45acp stocks are very hard to find and pricey, about $400 on up. So, what I did was buy one of the new Chicom repro's made for the 7.63/9mm Brooms (think I paid about $60). Very well made, good quality wood. I then spent about 3 hours hand chiseling and milling out the inside, to fit the Shansei .45 . Then I had to fit in a metal shim to make for a tighter fit on the grip. Best fired "gangbanger style" with a slight tilt to the left or right, depending on your shooting hand. This will prevent ejecting shells from dropping back in the breech, or on your head. this is a very robust and reliable "Boxed Cannon" as the Chinese named it. Walk onto a range with one of these little puppies, hanging from a leather shoulder harness, and you will be the center of attention !
    Sorry I didn't buy two when they were available for $890, years ago !