Is this happening to anybody else?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Airborne1101, May 12, 2009.

1. Airborne1101

Airborne1101 New Member

I have had something happen to me 3 times in the last 2 days and I wonder if anyone else is having similar problems. several people know I am reloading ammo now from conversations at the range, and talking to friends. with the lack of ammo available and the price, I have had people ask to buy some of my hand loaded rounds ( I would NEVER sell any for a vast number of reasons ) but I wonder if any of you have been approached to sell your hand loads?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never been asked to sell any. I don't think that I would sell them either. I have let people have ammo if they just let me have the brass back, but with the prices of components being what they are now, I would have to think twice about doing that anymore.
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I have been asked but I would not sell . I have done reloeads for friends but they have purchased the supplies and I provided the press.
  4. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Had a guy ask my best friend if he could get me to load some for him. The answer was "NO" as stated for lots of reasons. The main reason for not is I just don't want to use my time to do for others that could be doing the same thing for themselves. I would never ask anyone to reload for me.
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

It's also very illegal to sell ammo you've re-loaded or ammo that wasn't re-loaded by a license holding re-loader.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

popgunner, I have never heard this, where did you get your information? My local gun shop reloads and sells, in his shop, the ammo that he reloads. He did quite a bit of checking on legality and insurance liabilities before he started doing that.
  7. Airborne1101

Airborne1101 New Member

I think even if i loaded for somebody with them supplying the components I would still be very concerned as to the final location of those rounds ( my cousin wanted to shoot some of those etc. ) The quality of firearm used could not be guaranteed or any number of factors that could cause harm are not in my control. as well as tax issues and our old friends the ATF might look down on me selling or giving away my hand loads
  8. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I have sold some custom loaded ammunition to a couple people that I would consider "friends". However, I did make them sign a (legal) liability waiver, releasing me from any liability. It stated that they are aware of, and accept, all responsibilities for the handloaded ammo, from the time it leaves my possession, since accidents can occur. The waiver was drawn up by an attorney friend of mine. He informed me that (at least in this state) that as long as the waiver is signed, and the income is under "x" amount in a year, it is perfectly legal in all sense, without any license. Since primers are kinda hard to get, I have a hard enough time keeping myself in supply, so I have not loaded for them in awhile. I have a lot of confidence in any rounds I produce, but since anything can happen, hence the waiver.
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
  9. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I would not sell any - I have not been asked.
    I have shared my ammo at the range but made it quite clear they are reloads and to be forewarned I will not be held responsible for any problems. Always another licensed person and fully aware of what can go wrong.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have been asked and I have obliged. I always load starting loads for sale even to friends. for 1, its the safest possible load you can sell them, 2- they probably dont shoot enough to be proficient and wont notice the fact that they are starting loads, and 3- it helps me to keep my stocks rotated. for example, if i have a bunch of powder I rarely use for what ever reason that will provide a suitable starting load for a friend, I have them purchase powder that I WILL use and we call it even.

There are exceptions to my 'starting loads for friends' rule, and that exception lies with my veteran shooting buddies...
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

People have asked me to do that for years. I'm surprised it is just now happening to some of y'all. EVERYONE knows that reloading is cheaper, so they always want a reloader to make them some. Problem is that they think that if I can load it for 5 bucks, I should sell it to them for 5 bucks. I told a guy at work once that I would load some for him. I would charge him exactly twice the cost of the components, plus my time. Since it takes about two hours, start to finish, to do one box of shells on a single-stage press, and I was making 20 dollars an hour, it would cost him about 55 dollars a box. How many boxes of 38 special did he want? He decided he didn't need any, and apparently passed the word, because others quit asking also.
  12. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Too much liability....

mike
    gn
  13. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I agree with Glocknut, the liability issue is of utmost importance...just ask your attorney what he thinks.
  14. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Would not sell. Never been asked.
  15. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Mr Moody

The ATF license is called an "06" license & is $30 for 3 years. Even if you produce ammo and give it to others you would still need this license. Along with the license you would be required to remit 11% to the gubment as an excise tax. I don't know of the gubment demanding you have liability insurance but to sell your re-loads to anyone or even give them away without it would be risking being sued for whatever happens with your ammo. The one loophole is if your customers provide you with their own empty cases to load you are not required to submit the 11% excise tax.

To do it right you would maybe want to have your own cases with your own headstamp made. They require a 50,000 piece minimum order. While not very many custom coomercial re-loaders do this it would be a nice touch.

We have built up a nice local classifieds online source here in Utah for ammunition & re-loading components & one thing we have to watch to not get it shut down is to keep unlicensed re-loaders selling their re-loads off the site.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=231&cat=379