Is this knife banned?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Win73, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Win73

Win73 New Member

[​IMG]

According to the link below this knife was not allowed to be imported. But yet I got one. I don't remember where or when I bought it. I do know that it was not expensive, just a few dollars. I bought it because it caught my eye.

http://www.faqs.org/rulings/rulings2007NYM81319.html
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

No, only the one cited. Belt buckel knives are still being sold. Now they may be banned in some states, that I don't know.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Does it bear the same number as the one listed in the ruling, M007-SCORP-AS?
    If so, it looks to me like it IS the one banned from importation into the US, based on the fact that the blade can be opened by inertia. It does have the same NAME at least.
    This one LOOKS like yours, but it is out of stock -
    http://www.bearstradingcave.com/belt-art-knife.html

A very interesting item, in any event -
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, I misread the question. as stated that particular knife might very well be banned. Another name for inertia knife is a gravity knife, a flick of the wrist opens it, either swings open or slides open. At least that's what I was told years ago when I owned a couple. Belt buckle knifes themselves are not illegal.
  5. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Knife laws vary widely by state. Some states like SD are simple and only forbid ballistic knives.

Other states are complicated, like NY, and have very lengthy laws, and then attached as an amendment, the part about, ""Disguised knife" means any knife which is designed to appear as 4 an object other than a knife, such as a comb, writing instrument, 5 cigarette lighter or other object commonly carried on the person, and which 6 includes a blade concealed within such object."

Then states like Nevada have it right in the beginning..."1. It is unlawful for a person within this state to:
    (a) Manufacture or cause to be manufactured, or import into
    the state, or keep, offer or expose for sale, or give,
    lend or possess any knife which is made an integral part
    of a belt buckle
    or any instrument or weapon of the kind
    commonly known as switchblade knife..."

It gets even more complicated at the county/city level and may override the state.

Consequences also widely vary from confiscation to fine or time...some states also have something effectively like "suggest an intent to deceive".
  6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

Really? Inertia knives are a no-no? Bummer. They are useful.
  7. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Laws against inertia knives are sort of hokey -
    With practice, you can open just about any locking blade knife with one hand by gripping the blade and snap-rotating your wrist.
    Watch "The Knife Show" on TV to understand the technique -
    It is easier on the heavy handled knives like Schrade than on those with light handles like Spyderco. Of course, so many have a thumb hole or pin to flip them open with that it is pretty much a moot point.
  8. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Yes, exactly.

Also, nearly every Kershaw is spring assisted, which is perfectly legal, and is as fast as any switchblade or balisong one can have.

These silly laws where never meant to make anyone safe...they were only meant to target a perceived type of people within communities.
  9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

Yeah....that's what I do with mine. It's a small NRA knife. You really have to flick the wrist hard (after giving it a start), but it deploys when ordered.....