Is this red dot at fault or is it me?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Striker911, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

LDB's remarks are almost exactly my own.

The Aimpoint was the first really successful red dot. They are of excellent quality and expensive.

The 1" Ultra-Dot is rugged, optically well made (i.e. reasonably parallax free) product that has found great favor with competitive Bullseye shooters. Prices are usually above $100 but under $200.

The less expensive red dots typically have more parallax than Ultra-Dots or Aimpoints. Some really cheap Chinese made red dots will not stand up to the recoil and vibration of an auto-loading 22 RF.
  2. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

Like anything, it can be a hit and miss with electronics on firearms, just remember to have a backup (like iron sights).
  3. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Pretty much answered your own question, 1 - Wallmart, 2 - $30.
  4. Striker911

Striker911 New Member

Well at the time I posted this I was able to take it back and get a different one. However, this is my first exp with a red dot, and even if I can not take it back, it was a cheap lesson learned. What I didnt understand, and still dont to be honest, but I guess its normal that you have to have your face in the exact same place every time you shoot or its off target? I left the front sight on to help. I put a rabbit in the freezer 2 nights ago but with no help from the red dot. I tried it and missed. I ended up using the laser and flashlight and it worked just fine with a head shot at 30 yards. The only problem with the laser is it has to be dark outside to see it.

I only hunt rabbit that come out at night anyways, but I also like target shooting.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Striker911:

The way they work is a facing forward LED shines through a tiny aperture and reflects off the back of the front glass of the unit. What you see is a reflection. So you have to be looking into the center of the tube (roughly) to see it.The front lens is ground with no power but a curved surface on the rear. How well made that lens is, determines the amount of off center you eye can be and still hit the target. That is called parallax and better red dots have less. But you still have to find the dot by moving the gun around a bit with the target versions. Once you find it leave both eyes open and the dot will appear to hang in space. The equivalent sight radius is many times more than open pistol sights and as such the shakes will be amplified in the dot.

I use red dots on 22 rifles, and 22 pistols and some center fire guns as well. My shooting gets significantly better with guns with red dots on them over the guns with open sights.

The cheap red dots serve a purpose for some but the better ones are worth the extra money. Those in the $100 to $200 range with closed tubes are the best. I don't like the open framed ones (erroneously called holographic sights which they definitely are not) because typically the LED is too close to the front lens element negating any accuracy gains in sighting.

LDBennett