Is this rifle sling a 2 point or 3 point?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by lowead, Oct 17, 2008.

1. lowead

lowead New Member

hello,

Can somebody please explain to me if the rifle sling in the photos is a 2 point or 3 point sling...

I don't even know what the "Point" is at all (appears in most sling descriptions) so I would also be happy if somebody explained to me.

waiting eagerly for your responses.

thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

That is a 3-point sling; it connects to the rifle, across the shooter, and in between, making a hands free harness.

The one pictured is being worn way too low.

A 2-point is the regular sling. The best are adjustable via a quick adjust tab.
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Checking back on this thread because I was so brief earlier, I noticed something about your second pic; by detaching the front buckle, that becomes a single point sling, some would call a transition sling. (If you are not in the strong/weak hand transition camp, you could accomplish the same thing with some 550 cord and a small D-ring.) I never cared for a transion sling on an M4, but on a G36 or MP5k they are the way to go.

Proper body fit of a tactical sling, the butt of the weapon should hang almost in the pocket of your shoulder even when you let it go with both hands. This keeps the weapon at the extreme low ready, as opposed to parallel to he ground and flagging everyone. It also keeps the magazine well close to your rapid reloads. And having your longarm high on your chest prevents it from fouling presentation of your sidearm in an emergency.

Proper weapon fit of a 3 point tactical sling like the one in the picture; that strap that runs the length of the weapon, from butt to front sight assembly, should be tight as hell, like trampoline tight...I mean tighter than prom night. If it won't get that tight, sell it or throw it away.

In my opinion, 3 point slings have a major defect in design when used on an M16/M4. That strap that runs the length of the weapon also runs directly over the bolt stop/bolt release. I've seen that strap directly cause screw ups in rapid reloads that were totally unnecessary.

Hardware. Buckles and keepers made of plastic have a max working lifespan of about one year and they will break with zero notice. I have used and been around several such slings over the last decade and formed the opinion that I'll only use one if I intend to regularly replace every 3-4 months. They are just fragile.

The best sling I've ever seen sold in the US is made by Viking Tactics, sold by most major surplus/action gear places and costs the same as fancy tactical doohicky slings. It's a 2 point sling made of simple nylon strap and steel hardware. It is adjusted by a quick release tab exactly like the ones on ALICE rucksack straps. It works on everything from an M16 to an AK and takes to seconds to go from a tac sling to riflemen's sling.

Between using those plastic hardware fancy slings, and making an old school fighting sling from 1" tubular nylon, 90 mph tape, and 550 cord like we did back in the day, I'll save $40 and spend 20 minutes making my own.

Just my .02 and FYI for the interested.