Is this what I "THINK" it is?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GConn, Mar 28, 2011.

1. GConn

GConn Member

While taking some target practice with FMJ rounds late this afternoon, I happen to look-down on the ground in front of the target - same place the target sat a couple or three days ago when I squeezed-off eight Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P HP - (shot from my Kel Tec PF-9 which has a bit less than 100 rounds through it) and found this (photos attached) laying there...it appears to me as a hollow-point round, with a chunk of plywood stuffed in the hollow (I'm currently shooting targets attached to a section of 1/2" plywood.

Should I be concerned about something ...... with the weapon??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

That's the problem with low powered hollow points. The hollow point gets clogged with wood or material from clothing and basically turns it into a FMJ effect wise.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    This is a problem with a lot of the HP ammo out there right now. All bullet manufacturing companies are trying their best to make a HP bullet that will expand every single time, no matter what. Try some Hornady Critical Defence, http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense
  4. GConn

GConn Member

I thought 124-grain was more of a "MEDIUM" weight - and JEEEEZ - it's "+P"!!! THAT'S "low-powered"???
  5. GConn

GConn Member

So these, marked "LE" ("Law Enforcement") are potentially what some law enforcement are swatting at bad-guys with!??!?!
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Yep. LEO's here where I live are using a lot of the Remington Golden Sabers. You can buy them off the shelf just like you can the Hornady Critical Defense, or the Hydro Shock ammo from Federal. Now some ammo that is labeled "Law Enforcement Only" is just that, and can not be purchased by us mere civilians who the LEO's work for in the first place. Just look around a little, read up on what's out there, then go buy some of this, and some of that. You have to shoot the ammo in your pistol to determine what your gun likes best. The ammo that shoots the most accurate is the one you want to go with. One well placed bullet is worth 50 that don't hit the target.
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

It might be worth remembering that plywood is different than flesh. Just because a round failed to mushroom in plywood does not necessarily mean that it would fail to mushroom in a body.

Even if it doesn't mushroom out, it's still a 124 grain bullet traveling at somewhere around 1300 fps. Our military uses FMJs in their handguns.
  8. GConn

GConn Member

OK - Thanks much to everyone- and on that note, here's my Range Report today with 16-rounds of FMJ @ 7 yds/21 ft.

FINALLY, today, after thinking to myself; "ahh what the "HECK", I'm just gonna relax, do this, and sssuuueezzzzzzeee this trigger instead of getting all tensed-up and JERKING IT - got the absolute BEST group of shots I've yet - in almost 100 now - BY FAR!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Way to go Glenn. Now that is the right attitude. Relax and have some fun.
  10. GConn

GConn Member

Thanks Chief! And yes - was kinda funny, I've shot much more powerful weapons for many years...but they were all looong arms...there's just been something about holding a li'l *B0MB* in my hand that had me a bit uptight (you know, that short little barrel, I reckon?), but I finally just took a deep breath...and said to myself; "self, lets OWN this weapon, and hence, this target" - aimed, smiled, and just as gently as I could squeezed that thar trigger !

I was AMAZED how the next several shots (the remainder of the mag) were the best shots I've taken yet. Shots 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. I took a break of several hours, and changed locations, to squeeze rounds 9 - 16.

Granted, I still don't have quite 100 rounds under my belt (squeezed through a handgun, that is), but I have a whole new attitude about target "practice"!

Thanks again sir...
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  11. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

ok, being dumb here most likley...in your pictures i did not notice several things.... nothing to indicate rifleing marks, base of bullet very shiney as in no powder marks, nose of bullet while is full of plywood shows no deformaity at all, even the grooves are not deformed at all, I would expect some deformaity to show...so from the pictures which are not the best, fuzzy somewhat..either the bullet is a very hard alloy or the plywood was very rotten?
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Not dumb...the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask. :)
    The rifling is there...albeit fuzzy. Those darned cheap little point-n-shoot cameras usually take poor macro shots.
    No powder soot...a good sign. Means it's a pretty clean burning powder.
    No deformation...that can be typical of punching an HP through a hard fibrous material. I've dug full-tilt load 180gr XTP/HPs from my .357 out of my backstop posts (green-treat 4x4s) with no deformation at all to the nose too. They still expand nicely on whitetails though. Some bullet designs do have tougher snouts than others too...so some might deform when you hit wood, some might not.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  13. GConn

GConn Member

You've got good eyes.

I got a NICE NEW CAMERA TODAY (Birthday Gift from my Best Friend), so more pics are coming.

The Wood is not rotten (I'll see if I can get that pictured/attached here also), and I'll have to re-read your message again to see what else I need to address in response to you - THANK YOU MUCH!
  14. GConn

GConn Member

New cam - new pics!

Attached Files:

15. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

hey! now thats a big improvement there!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!