Is Your Dog Covered By The 2nd Amendment ?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by JohnHenry, Sep 23, 2011.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

2. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

so if a nation-wide ban went into place, what would happen to all the banned animals? forced sterilization? execution? they want to ban oil drilling and other resource gathering to save a few mosquitoes(which we would happily do without), but completely annihilate an entire breed of dog?
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't think this one is going anywhere. Responsible people own, and are, responsible for their pets.
    http://enhs.umn.edu/current/6120/bites/dogbitefatal.html
    The number of dog bite fatalities has remained fairly constant over time in the United States. In the twenty-year period between 1979 and 1998, the number of fatal dog attacks ranged from 5 to 17 per year.
    Between 1979 and 1998, severe dog bites resulted in at least 332 confirmed human deaths. Twenty-five breeds of dogs were involved. Seventy percent of dog bite fatality victims were children.
    Although rottweilers and pit bulls were responsible for 60% of the 1997-1998 dog bite fatalities, these breeds have accounted for far fewer fatalities in past years.
    The proportion of deaths attributable to pit bulls has varied over time from 20% in 1979-1980, to 62% in 1987-1988, and down again to 22% in 1997-1998.

Compare these numbers to The National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System (NCANDS) that reported an estimated 1,770 child fatalities in 2009.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Every dog of every breed is still at least partially a wolf. It may be deep down inside, buried beneath years of specialized breeding. But every dog is capable of attacking.

My lab-husky mix has never shown any kind of aggression toward people, even in situations that might appear that she would be protecting me (I have a brother who has done some MMA training, and I have helped him some with the wrestling/grappling part, so we were "fighting" and she just sat there and watched).
    But she is a hunter of anything small and moving (except other dogs). I've watched her kill mice, moles, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, snakes, birds (from young robins to adult Canada geese), and probably other things, too. She eats all of it except the snakes and opossums. She also loves to "herd" the neighbor's donkeys--running them in circles until they are tired.

Some breeds are further from the wolf/coyote blood than others. Training goes a long, long way. But instincts are still there in all of them, and all of them are capable of causing harm. All of them 40 pounds or so and up are capable of killing a human under certain conditions. Those conditions vary greatly depending on breed, but there is at least some condition under which any dog will attack.

Do I think any particular breed should be banned? No, I am really pretty libertarian. But do I think that owners should be held accountable for their animals? Definitely. Your dog aggressively attacks a person? Battery. They die? Manslaughter (at least).

Taking possession of an animal is not a light responsibility. Too many view it as such.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Totally agree! Man up, and take responsibility for your child, or your dog! We had a little Cocker Spaniel that would bite you in a minute, if you did not belong to the house hold, meaning me, and the wife. I sometimes had to lock her up when we had company.
  6. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

oh, absolutely. thank God they didn't try to do the same thing with our guns:rolleyes:
  7. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Just another example of the "Nanny state". People need to be responsible for their dogs, their kids and themselves. The government needs to stay out of the personal responsibility thing.
  8. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I dont think its gonna fly. I have 2 great dogs that are fine around everyone. Ones a pitbull and the other is a rottweiler both will protect me and arent fond of aggressive moves but are still under my control. Its all about training , same as with any other weapon.
  9. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

Now i think about it my pit has only bitten once and that was when a guy tried to hit me. the dog got his wrist i got a laugh and he got chewed.
  10. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I pitty the fool that would try to take my MoJo (pitbull) away from me. He is a beloved member of my family and will be protected as such.
  11. Jay

Jay New Member

My dogs are not protected by the 2nd Amendment. They will be protected by me, and I am protected by the 2nd Amendment. Dogs are products of their environment, period. My dogs are enclosed in a fenced yard, they have access to both doors, and they obey. My dogs will alert me to your presence, and then it's on me. HOWEVER, should you enter the fenced yard uninvited, it will become quickly evident that you could have made a better decision.... and THAT IS ON YOU.

Our 68 pound pit mix with our granddaughter, asleep on me.

[​IMG]

Our 78 pound Husky/Chow mix watching our niece playing with HIS food treats. As she dumped 'em out, he gently lapped 'em up. She often sleeps on a pad next to one or both dogs.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011