Issue setting the safety

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dubya, Jun 17, 2012.

1. dubya

dubya New Member

Hi All - I'm just getting started with my Colt Match Target. After cleaning it and putting it back together, I cannot seem to set the safety unless I charge it by pulling back on the charging handle. I'm pretty sure that I put it back together properly, but I am also pretty sure I should be able to set the safety without charging. Can anyone help me?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Your Colt Match Target is built the same way the 1911 is. If the gun is not cocked you don't need to have a safety, thus, it will not go into safety untill the gun is cocked.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Colt match target ar? Im assuming. you cant put a ar in safe unless the hammer is cocked which means you have to pull the charging handle first. Sounds to me everything is just fine
  4. dubya

dubya New Member

Hey All - thank you so much! I've spent many hours taking apart and putting back together the bolt assembly thinking that I had reassembled improperly! But all time well spent as I have gotten a good deal of familiarity with the weapon. Now thanks to you, I've gotten a good deal of confidence with the weapon. Again thanks!
    P.S. It is a Colt Match Target 6400. Based on where I live (NJ), I don't think that the AR variant is legal - something about features like flash suppressor, adjustable stock, etc., not being legal. But here again, I am a novice.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Even without the suppressors, extended mags and collapsable stock, its still a AR variant. Same function, same trigger group.