it does NOT pay to be nice to people!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rosierita, Apr 15, 2004.

1. rosierita

rosierita New Member

:rolleyes: that is my "pearl of wisdom" for you!:mad: :mad: :mad:

everything around me seems to be going to hell in a handbasket & i'm pretty pissed about it! so, i'm taking on a new policy!! i'm trying to get out of the habit of being so damn nice!:rolleyes:

troy & i have generally been generous people & well, it came back to bite us AGAIN!! we had an old car that a "friend" of ours was gonna buy, he's a mechanic at the shop we'd taken it to, to have some work done on it. it sat there for months & no work was ever done & of course we never got paid. we knew the guy was having some health problems & he's also kinda on the poor side of things, so we didnt stress over it & we just left it w/ him til he could pay us for it. 2 wks ago it was STOLEN!! we didnt find out about it until last night!!:mad: :mad: :rolleyes: anyhoo ~ so we filed a report w/ the sheriff's dept & now i'm waiting on an investigator to call me. what concerns me, is that we left that car sitting so long, it was to help this guy out, but damn ~ bc we let it sit, does that mean we'll have a problem getting anything out of the shop?? :confused: ya know, i had to call him to find out where it was! no one bothered to tell us it was stolen & of course, no one from the shop filed a report!!:mad: i'm SOOO beyond mad right now.
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Sorry, Rosierita. :( I hope you are able to work things out. Was it insured?
  3. rosierita

rosierita New Member

no it wasnt...... we had cancelled the insurance & turned in the tags bc they were gonna be due soon & we didnt have the money to spare on a vehicle we werent using.:rolleyes:

the investigator called just a few mins ago & he's going to talk to this mechanic this afternoon. i told him about what all happened & what the guy said last night & he said it was all very suspicious. yeah! ya think?! anyhoo ~ he thinks that the mechanic knows exactly where its at bc the guy told me last night that i'd get my money.

anyhoo ~ i dunno why i expected this situation to be any different..... this is par for the course when it comes to us. this is just one of many times we've been taken by "friends".
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Sorry to hear that, rosierita. I've been burned before too. My wife and I lent her sister $1000 when she was in a tight spot, and she promised to pay it back the following month. Here we are 3 years later and she only ignores us. I finally developed the attitude that if I'm going to help someone monetarily, I have to do it with the expectation that I'll never see that money again. If I can't afford to lose it, I just have to be selfish and not help that person.
  5. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

YO Snipe !! cud ya lend me a thou?? naw make it ten thou???:cool:
  6. rosierita

rosierita New Member

:( yeah, you'd think we'd have learned that by now.:mad:
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

IBTRUKN wrote:
    Better watch out sniper, he'd be off to the BadaBing in a heart beat! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  8. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

Even know it's bad to say but family and good friends are the worst on loading money or letting them pay something out. they are usually the one's who burn ya the most.

with that guy being a mech. he probably does know where the car is and just using it as a parts car making a killing off it. I know this because I do about the same thing. I keep in tune with what cars and trucks are a main target what people are looking for. Since here in Texas ain't apart of the rust belt, I'll buy cheap trucks broke down trucks. Then turn around and part it out to people in the rust belt looking for a rust free part. Since I'm disabled it's a easy way for me to make extra money to get the extra's things I wantb like guns or parts to keep my mud toy 4x4's going.

I just sold my brother a 89 Ford probe for $400 which I didn't really want to sale him, but his car bit the dust nd needed something cheap and cheap on gas. I just hate saling stuff like that to family and good friends in case something goes wrong with it, I don't get stuck in the middle of a cross fire on a bad deal. The only reason why i did sale it to him because I knew the car well, since I bought it 6 or 7yrs ago for my little sister.

But the best thing to do if you do this wiether they pay in cash or pay it out is to get a bill of sale stating AS IS and the amount paid or payment plans.

I hope you get this worked out easy.
  9. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I am very sorry for your troubles, but your charitable nature is what is best about you. Self sacrifice is the greatest form of love. Continue to act in an honorable way, and lead by example, others will follow. Surround yourself with people of character. Place your faith in Christ, for he is the ultimate role model.
    I know you are frustrated now. I can relate on many levels. Boy, can I relate!!, but follow the above advice. Compose yourself, focus, pray, and be glad that you live in the greatest nation on earth.
  10. rosierita

rosierita New Member

i do place my faith in Jesus Christ remington.:) (but right now, i'm not a very good example!):(
  11. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

He is always with you and so are we.:)
  12. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I got one better than that......

A guy who worked for me about 5 years ago....his grandmother died and him and his dad were at the funeral when his dad noticed that his sister and her husband left right in the middle of the preachers sermon and never returned. Since they were both paul bearers (sp)? they could'nt check on it until the sermon was done and the casket was loaded.
    So between the funeral home and the gravesite his dad decided to swing by Grams house...and whola...there was sis and hubby with a loading van loading up all Grams furniture.......
    I asked my friend what he and his dad did to his dads sister and hubby....and the only response I got was...."well, we did'nt kill em"......

I gotta tell ya....that would really **** me off if I caught my relatives doing something like that.

I can already see the divisions forming in my moms family. Gram has told everyone what they're getting...and my mom is already objecting. She had the gaul to sit there and gripe about it...So i told her Gram can do with her stuff what she wants...and my mom is like....Yeah, but.....ect ect

Family can be some of the most venomous(sp)? back stabbing jerks out there.
    I'm staying outta this one.
    When my Gram passes, it will be the last time my uncles and cousins see me on this earth......

GN
  13. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I hear ya, GN. My mom was on real rough terms with her twin brother for awhile after their mother passed away in '93. Thankfully, time has healed those wounds.

I'll say this about my parents and where everything goes: all I really care about is the two 1100s, 20ga and 12ga. They have my father's name engraved upon them, which is my name, also. My two sisters can have everything else, as far as I'm concerned. If my parents decide to give anything to my children, that'll be fine. My parents raised me and supported me through some rough times in my youth, so I figure they don't owe me anything after they're gone.
  14. rosierita

rosierita New Member

anyone got any advice for this situation?? i heard a "rumor" today about what happened..... supposedly what happened was this shop changed ownership hands 3 mos ago & the new owner sold it for scrap. supposedly they were going to charge us a storage fee IF we complained. (although originally it was taken there to be repaired & later one of the mechanics was going to own it) anyhoo ~ said all that to ask this, since we've filed the stolen car report & we hold the title, is there any way, we can file on their insurance to get paid for the loss of the car?? is there a way that legally we can make them give their insurance info??
  15. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I'm not a lawyer, but I would think if they sold the car without legal title, they are liable to you for the value of the car and could probably be sued in civil court. You would need to talk to an attorney, though.
  16. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

The facts in this situation are fraught with problems and your best solution would be to seek good legal counsel.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2004