It has started...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by barmstrong2, Aug 3, 2012.

1. barmstrong2

barmstrong2 New Member

So, I've wanted to start reloading my own ammo for some time. I've been talking with a friend who has been reloading for years and last weekend, I went over to his house and he gave me a 5 hour course, a couple DVD's and a box full of manuals and I was more confused than ever.
    Today, I bought the Lee 50th Anniversary reloading kit and my first set of dies. 30-30 WIN, with a die crimper. Before I buy any powder, brass or bullets, I need to talk more with my buddy, I think.
    I'm going to purchase the necessary items over the next few weeks to get going. I have the 30-30 dies. I still need .270 and I need to find a die set for an old Winchester 45-90. I've found a set on ebay for about $100
    Any information you guys think I should know, I'm listening.
    I have a feeling this could be similar to guitars, or boats. Throw all the money you can at it and you still need more stuff.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day barmstrong, yeah it can be like that if you let it , but it will supply you with ammo

but theres no real need i've given away a few of the lee 50th kits here , they pretty much do you right , they have a small ammount of lube but theres better and cheaper out there too .. so not anything to get besides bullets powders and primers

http://jack404.minus.com/mM4hmczwF/1g help yourself to anything there , the beginners guide is a good one , lots of reloading books and manuals as well

any specific questions ask away , lotsa reloaders here

but in short $1.88 a round shop bought for 45-90

i do them here for a mate who dont reload and he pays me 70 cents per and i'm in front a tad i think still ( prices on the 500 grain projectile we use went up , i was making 5-6 cents per )

when its time to buy new casing the price goes to 95 cents per round and may be $1 the way brass(new) has gone up

for BP loads and new brass , figure 8-15 cycles before replacing

CF hi power powder 4-8 cycles before buying new brass
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  3. DBMJR1

DBMJR1 New Member

Yes, there is something important, related to .30-30.

Most rifles chambered for .30-30 have quite a bit of head space. This causes the brass to be stretched each time it is fired, near the base.

Check the length of your brass each time you fire it.

Check the insides of your fired cases for a depression forming near the base. To check, bend the tip of a paperclip and feel the inside of the brass. If you notice the clip hanging up near the base, throw that case away.

Case head separation can be a real pain to clear, not to mention dangerous.

I get about five reloads out of my brass. I use Remington brass from once fired Core-Loked ammunition. I load near Max load for a 150 gr Hornady bullet using IMR 3130. Very accurate for my Model 94.
  4. barmstrong2

barmstrong2 New Member

Thanks Don, I'll keep that in mind and keep a close eye on the casings. My buddy told me I wouldn't need to be as concerned about this issue with my 45's as they don't have a shoulder and there is little expansion to the casing. For the time being, it's going to be by the book and with a lot of questions. But, just 2 weeks ago, I wouldn't have had any idea what "I load near Max load for a 150 gr Hornady bullet using IMR 3130. Very accurate for my Model 94." meant... I know what you're talking about, so, I guess I really am learning! That's a good thing.

Jack, Thank you. I'll look through the link there. I bought one box of 45-90 when I got this rifle back. $1.88 would be a bargain! I paid $75 for a box of 20. In my searches of reloading supplies, so far, I haven't found casings for 45-90. If you know where I can get them, I'd appreciate that very much. Funding is limited, so, I have to pick and choose what I'm going to buy each week. Going with Don's advice above, as my 30-30 is a Model 94, I'll pick up some IMR 3130 and Hornady 150 gr bullets for the 30-30, as those are the dies I have right now. I can get started with some reloading, then, move into the other calibers as the money allows.

Thank you much, guys. I appreciate the advice.
  5. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Welcome! I am new to reloading (maybe since Jan 2012) and I started with a Lee kit. I did a ton of research before I started and I have a pretty good understanding of what I was going to be doing.

Luckily I found a local reloading club here in NC and a few of those guys helped me out tremendously (as well as the members here of course...but it helped having a guy down the road to do some hands on with).......that is from giving me knowledge, supplies, and a few really good deals on stuff (like $40 for a Dillon 450jr set up for 45acp loads).

My biggest worry was the money pit syndrome of just putting a ton of money into it with little return. Well, I will tell you I am shooting more (therefore increasing my shooting skills) and still saving a lot of money......but I did it smart and had lots of help.
  6. barmstrong2

barmstrong2 New Member

Found a 45-90 set, with crimper, at Natchezss.com for $52.... Score!
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Read all the Stickys at the top of this section. If you are ever unsure........ ask.
  8. barmstrong2

barmstrong2 New Member

Thanks Howlnmad. I have read them and spent some time in the link that Jack posted. My buddy gave me a pile of books, too. A Speer manual that walks a no-nothing beginner, like me, right into every aspect of reloading. There is a lot to this.
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. Hey, look at reloading like this. Some day, when your old and ready for the nursing home, you can have one heck of a garage sale. There is a lot of talent on here. If you have questions, just ask.

Jim
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Look around for a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading". It has no load data but is very informative. Try to get the individual data books from powder companies and bullet manufactures and the Lyman 49th that everyone swears by. The more manuals the better for cross referencing.
  11. barmstrong2

barmstrong2 New Member

76Highboy, After years of guitar playing (why do you have so many guitars?), fly fishing (We should get rid of those if you're not going to use them anymore.), regular fishing (You bought ANOTHER boat??), hunting (You bought ANOTHER gun??), etc., etc., etc... It's going to be one hell of a garage sale!

Words in paranthesis are from wife. (Duh!)

Thanks howlnmad. I just put the kindle on the charger. I'll look for those.
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

need a case trimmer and case gauge.. or at least a good set of .xxx calipers..
  13. barmstrong2

barmstrong2 New Member

Yeah. I need a lot of stuff! I have a list here on the shelf beside the computer. Looks like I need to spend about another $200 before I am ready to even start reloading anything. But, that's OK. I got a lot of reading to do, too.

Thanks. I'll add case trimmer and gauge to the list.
  14. barmstrong2

barmstrong2 New Member

ABC's of Reloading, Rodney James... Not currently available on Kindle.
  15. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

oh, it gets better. before you know it you buy a gun to match a set of dies you bought. then all of a sudden your wife wonders if you are out in the garage, at work, or over at the neighbor's until she hears the brass klinking down stairs.

I have to ask though. did you miss-read and accidently say IMR 3130 powder for the .30/30? I use IMR 3031 for mine. 31.5g to be exact