it just keeps getting worse

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by cycloneman, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

2. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

What a complete crock of, ummm crock of ahhh.
    They needed to go out of business or at least reorganize a couple of years ago.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

If I buy an American car, I prefer to put my faith in a Ford or Chrysler vehicle. Ford never took a "bailout."

Chrysler did, but I thought they paid it back the last time they took one.

I still like my Volkswagen just fine.
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

No more expensive junk for me "honda".... from here on out i don't plan on spending any more than i have to in order to stay mobile.

mike
    gn
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I was at an auction yesterday that sold several cars for just a tad over what you'd get for them as scrap. Every one of them started up, and none sounded too terribly bad. On something like that, it's probably totaled when it needs new tires, but who cares? If you can drive it for a year and only lose $200 in value, you're better off than most.
  6. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Gm's new car line-up for 2011 includes a $70K Cadillac CTS, a $!00K + Corvette C-6, a $!00K + Cadillac XLR (Corvette), all with gas guzzler taxes added and diesel pick-up trucks that will list at well over $ 60K. Oh, I almost forgot, the Evo I, a sort of electric, sort of hybrid that has a range on battery of 40 miles and will sell for in excess of $ 40K.
    GM may have re-structured but one thing still remains the same, they still build vehicles nobody can afford or nobody wants.
  7. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Your right. They might as well put a million dollar price tag on one of those cars, whats the difference? In this day if you can afford 100K you can afford a mil. They are not really interested in selling cars anyway. Just collecting checks.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

For most buyers of new cars, the actual price tag doesn't mean a thing. They don't ask, "How much?" Instead they ask, "How much down, how much per month?"

They come home and tell the neighbors, "It's only $550 per month! And it's at zero percent interest! There is nothing smarter to do with my money than buy this car!" And then you see that they signed up to make these payments for seven or eight years.

Want to see some real reform in the auto industry? I have a suggestion. Make it impossible to finance a car for a longer term than the length of the full warranty. If you want people to be paying on it for eight years, it better be able to provide that eight years of uninterrupted service. A requirement like this will certainly bring the price down on all these things in a hurry.
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I don't think the Japanese cars are quite on the reliability level that they used to be.

I paid $21,000 for my '08 Jetta brand new and I've only had to buy a new set of tires for it so far.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  10. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

I don't know if any of you caught this or not, but Pontiac is no more.
    They have closed there doors and after this weekend, ALL Pontiacs that are on your dealers lot will be considered used cars.

Pontiac Died after 84 years.
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Those prices might be high to cover the gas mileage fines that good ol carter passed when he was the obama of the day back then?

They are living off of their reputation from a decade or more ago...

Good Ridance!

mike
    gn
  12. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

I think Obama is looking for a prospective buyer as we speak.