It pays to pay attention

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Downriver, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Downriver

Downriver New Member

I was cruising through the forums today and remembered a favorite personal anecdote. Back in 2007 I decided to pick up a Smith & Wesson m. 642 as a pocket pistol, and hoped to trade in a venerable AMT Back-Up .380 I'd had since about 1980 and never particularly liked. I hit the gun show and presented the .380 to the guy who cable ties incoming weapons at the front door. As he's securing the pistol, he commented, "This is one of the early ones - stainless steel springs and stainless steel screws. You don't see many of these around any more."

Now in the show, I found the revolver I wanted and made the deal, then hit them up for the trade-in. The salesman called the boss over, who offered me some amount I don't exactly remember. Thinking quick, I parroted, "Y'know, this is one of the early ones - stainless steel springs and stainless steel screws. You don't see many of these around any more." The boss upped his offer $40. I took it.

As the title says, it pays (literally) to pay attention.
  2. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the man at the door knew a little about firearms!