It was only a doe but my little buddy was proud that his daddy shot one...

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by ponycar17, Nov 22, 2011.

1. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I figured you guys would like this. My 4 year old boy reacts to my doe harvest in pictures. ;)

I've only hunted 5-6 times so far this year because of a lot of issues that otherwise took precedence. I had to take this 98 lb. doe when I saw it Saturday due to very few sightings on our property this year.

My boy just loved that daddy got a deer this year. I'm gunning for a buck before Christmas. He'd go ballistic if I got a buck. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. SWirsty

SWirsty New Member

Nice job pony, its the meat on the table that really counts.

I can't wait to get my little girl out in the woods! Shes only 2 right now and holding still just doesnt work, let alone be quiet. She was excited for my deer also and that all she wanted to do for the majority of the night..."Daddy, I see your deer?"..."Daddy, Where's your deer?"...Daddy, Is that your deer in the tree?"

License: $24.00
    Ammo: $12.00
    Precious moments with my daughter: PRICELESS!
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Absolutely SWirsty! The kids reaction is awesome! I can't wait until he's calm enough to hunt. Right now he's just excited about his H&R .22 that I allow him to shoot .22 CB rounds through by my side in the yard. He's learning a great deal about gun safety in a very controlled environment.

I've had my boy in the woods once or twice when he was 3 while I had the crossbow out. I shot this one while he was still back at the house with "mommy". He came out to check it out with me. He wanted to see where I shot it but I couldn't find it. I shot it at about 40 yards with a 7.62 x 39mm Hornady V Max round. It went in small, expanded and had no exit wound. It was a very, very odd hit although the severe mouth bleeding indicated a firm lung hit at least.

Good luck on getting your daughter out in the woods when she's ready! ;)
  4. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Glad for you Ponycar!

Wish my Son was still that age sometimes.
    Nothing like it, eh?

5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Thanks hkruss. Yeah, I love this age. He's actually proud of me now. My wager is that it won't last long... ;) He'll realize that daddy's a dork soon. Hahahahaha!

All I can do is to attempt to provide him opportunities in the outdoors that I didn't have growing up. I didn't start deer hunting until I was 28. I hope that it's a positive influence on him! ;)
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  6. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

He's a cute boy Pony. You get him interested in the outdoors and do things with him as much as possible and that teenage rift will never appear.
    I can see by those photos you are a rich man indeed!
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Great post Pony; fine young man ya got there and one of those moments that you'll both never forget. Hope he enjoys the venison steaks, if not, I'm sure you will !
  8. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

priceless!!!! I raised three sons, the youngest is 34 now. I took all of them hunting with me from the time they could walk. Now each of them are honest hard working young men. In fact tomorrow we have our annual goose hunt together. The eldest can't make it this time, he's a police officer and has to work. we forgive him - this time. :):):)
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

only a doe? Id rather kill and eat doe than bucks any day. Nice take Pony. Did you let littleman help you field dress?

Wesley cant wait til i drop a deer this season. He is so anxious to use his pocket knife I gave him to carry while hunting.
  10. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

You're right about the doe being a better cut of meat JLA! But nah, I guess I'm a wimp. I really can't stomach field dressing a deer. I literally get nauseous when I cut myself badly and can't stomach watching surgical procedures on anyone else. The processor is 5 minutes away and they can usually hang and dress a deer right when I get there. The boy loves going to the processor to see the deer get hung up and then gets to see the processor's livestock. I won't mess up a good thing. ;)
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  11. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Doe meat is better than buck meat anyways. Im for the meat not the rack, although I shot and killed over three 40+ pointers in my lifetime so far. I still prefer doe deer meat just like I prefer sow meat rather boar meat when it comes to killing feral pigs
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You got a good thing goin then. Keep it up.

We have always butchered our own. Just something i was taught at a young age to do. The longest part is skinning them. 1/4ing them out is easy and requires only a few cuts. Then its just a matter of boning the larger cuts into roasts and steaks, and what cant be made into a roast or a steak gets run thru the grinder and made into coarse ground chili meat or run thru twice for sausage meat.

I like to cut venison 50/50 with swine for good sausage. Just cant beat it. :)
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Way to go Pony! Great pictures! Reminds me of my boys, and their first deer. Memories! Make a lot of them!
  14. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Does taste better than bucks. I shoot 7 or 8 does for every buck I shoot. Nice deer.
  15. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 New Member

im sure he will love it.. my dad passed away a few years back and alot of my favorite times with him was when we were out in the woods hunting.. i can still remember when i got my first deer, he said "i'll cut it open for ya this time and you grap everything out" i thought it was the nastiest thing i have ever seen, and it was prlly the funniest for him watching me do it...