Ithaca M37 Featherweight

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 26, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

mterick
    (1/1/02 10:31:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Ithaca Shotgun
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was wondering what the value of my Ithaca 12 Ga. Featherlight Model 37 in good condition is worth. Thanks!

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/1/02 10:52:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ithaca Shotgun
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the question!

There were many variations and grades of the Model 37 Featherlight. Can you be more specific as to barrel length/choke, vent rib or plain, and condition? Also, is the serial number below 855,000 or above?

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

mterick
    (1/2/02 5:30:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Ithaca shotgun
    Thanks for your resopnse! It's a 28" modified choke. No vent rib. Ser. No.889809. This was my mother's shotgun. It was not fired by her but maybe a handfull of times. (Dad could'nt keep her interested) I don't know for sure if it was fired by anyone else, but I doubt it.(I can find out)It has a little fiber optic type of sight at the end of the barrel. For 2 3/4" shells only. It only has minor surface scratches on the butt stock. The metal is looking good, but it sat a long time without being oiled. For some reason unknown to me the recoil pad is missing. Maybe my Dad knows something about that, but anyway I'll need to find one that fits. I'm guessing, but this gun could be 30 years old. Thanks for the help.

AntiqueDr
    (1/2/02 5:50:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ithaca shotgun
    Actually, it was made in 1964. The good news is that it has the interchangeable barrel feature Ithaca adopted at serial number 855,000. The lack of a vent rib does hurt it a bit, though. The Ray-Bar front sight you describe is factory.

I am not sure what you are describing in the way of metal finish, but I am going to assume it's in average condition. If you replace the buttplate it should bring $200-$250. Now, Ithacas are extremely regional on pricing. Down here in Texas I probably couldnt get more than $150-$175 for it (this is Remington country) but in the Northeast near where Ithacas are made they bring considerably more.

My advice is to keep it and use it. Ithaca 37's are some of the finest pump shotguns made.
    www.apaxenterprises.com

mterick
    (1/2/02 7:02:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Ithaca Shotgun
    Thanks for the estimate! Very impressive. I'm from Minnesota, so maybe this helps me somewhat. Maybe I will keep the gun anyway.

AntiqueDr
    (1/2/02 7:13:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Lutefisk country! Yooooooouuuuuuuuu betcha!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
    (1/2/02 7:58:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ithaca Shotgun
    Welcome, mterick. I'm from Minn-eeeee-sota too....ya, sure you bet. Land of 10,000 taxes. Birthplace of boredom. Home of lutefisk, hotdish, and Jesse "The Governor" Ventura. What more could anybody want!

Stick around a while....great bunch of people here.

mterick
    (1/2/02 9:38:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Ithaca Shotgun
    Thanks for the hospitality, and the Minnesota perspectives.
    I'll be sure to check in from time to time. I'm looking at the muzzleloader/black powder topics mostly, but i'll look at other topics as well. Geez, this is sooo neat!

Bob In St Louis
    (1/3/02 8:42:29 am)
    I used to have an Ithaca 12 Gauge in the same configuration, and it also dated from the mid-1960s. I wish I had never parted with that.

Hey Doc - while on this subject, I have an Ithaca 20 gauge Mod. choke, Ultra-Featherlight Model 37, serial No. ULT-371740376. In excellent condition.

What can you tell me about it as to age, price?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

AntiqueDr
    (1/3/02 10:29:00 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    That's 1981 production. If it's vent rib (should be), its a solid $250-$300 shotgun. Dont sell it, though, you can not find a nicer, lighter 20ga pump.

www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
    (1/3/02 1:38:41 pm)
    Don't intend to sell it - my son has his eye on it. It does have the vent rib. I took it in on trade for a pistol that was worth about $250, so I guess I didn't do too bad.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!