Ithaca M37 gun history?..

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by matt311, Jan 25, 2007.

1. matt311

matt311 New Member

Hey guys I reciently was handed down one of my grandfathers old guns. I did some research on the net and talked to a few people and what it comes down to is my Ithaca Model 37 was used in WWII .. its a Riot gun model that seems to be fairly rare.

But my question for you guys is about the stock on the gun. This gun was made in 1942 from the serial number. the stock is not the original stock because the serial number is not the same. BUT the serial number is very close to the gun serial. and from doing research it seems as if most of the guns like mine all have the same stock on it with mismatch serial numbers. I have yet to see one that had the original stock on it.

does anyone know if this was something done while being used in the war? did they not like the original stocks and change these for them? I dont know its just weird to me that the stock was made the same year but does not match the rest of the gun.

any information at ALL about the use of the Ithaca M37 in WWII or the gun itself ect.... would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Matt.....welcome to TFF! :)

For military firearms, "mix-and-match" parts are not the exception, they're the rule.

During their history, most military firearms, were repaired, rearsenalled, had various parts replaced when they were broknen or worn out.....in addition, they were often used on a gun range, after which a whole bunch of them were broken down and cleaned, and put back together in no particular order.

Soooo.....don't fret, the M37 is a great gun, and you've got a nice piece of WWII history.

Here's a bit of info on the M37:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaca_M37